News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Racing History BEX333 (1957-1964)

Started by AC Ace Bristol, January 04, 2009, 13:56:28

Previous topic - Next topic

AC Ace Bristol

Latest  update.... Thank you for keeping this thread alive !!

e-mail from Jerry Liudahl (Old Irish Racing-Jaguar)  Eugen,USA. Follow up from email dated 19th December 2010

Keith,
   Hope you and yours are fit as well.  We are anxious for winter to be over.  We had a warm dry sunny February, ending in snow and arctic temperatures.  Enough already, bring on Spring!

The address I was given for Rondi Boskovitch must have been Ted's and it bounced.  I put a condolences remark on a website, but did not get an acknowledgement.  I made mention of your email yesterday and my tech savvy teenager asked me if I had tried Facebook.  So, I inquired and sure enough she has a Facebook page.  I sent a note and will see if I get a response.  If not, I am headed to Seattle at mid-month on business for a couple days and I will see what I can do.

Not too surprised about the Monte Shelton response.  If they had to depend on customer service to stay in business, they would have been gone long ago.

I will let you know what turns up.

Kind regards,

Jerry

Thank you for your time and effort. Hopefully something materialises from your visit to Seattle.

Any info on Racing History of BEX333 (1957 -1964)..  Appreciated.

Keith..[;)]

AC Ace Bristol

Whilst trawling various web sites the other evening I came across:-

SCCA USRRC race programme/results archive- The AUTOSPORT Bulletin Board.

Amongst the numerous correspondance was the following:-

Hi
   My name is Mike Martin and I'm currently finishing up a book about the history of The USRRC series.
   A central database is a nice pie in the sky idea! It has taken me 17 years to collect race results and data, race programmes, entry lists, car numbers,
   fastest laps, fastest qualifiers , starting grids and times and I'm still missing some of these.

If any of you reading this are curious, please email me on :-

grimheel@whidbey.com

Unfortunately my email bounced back twice.

I sent a email to Marrion & Vince Howlett, Victoria, BC, Canada. whom by return confirmed Mike Martins email as:-
   grimeheel@wavebroadband.com unfortunately this too has bounced back..[:(][:(]

Mike also confirms he has the first 13 Puget Sound Sports Car Club's Magazines....  As Jim Parson's won a few Annual championships for his Class in BEX333
   ( reference Brass plaques posted earlier on this thread) there MUST BE some gems / data, hidden away in Mikes Archives... to contribute to the
   "Racing History File of BEX333"

Does any one know Mike Martin, Have contact with him, live near him or can confirm correct email address ..[?]

Keith .. .. [:p]

jrlucke

Keith, Zabba search shows a Mike S. Martin in Coupeville on Whidbey Island which is about 30 miles from me.

I'll try to contact him to see if he is the USRRC individual.

I believe the USRRC series was in the early 60's and involved more sports racing/pre Can-AM type cars (Elvas, Porsches, Cobras, etc.) rather than sports cars.

Wikipedia indicates "The United States Road Racing Championship (USRRC) was created by the Sports Car Club of America in 1962." and that it ran until being replaced by the Can-AM in 1968.

Probably too late for AC Bristol involvement.

I'll give the Whicbey Mike Martin a call,

John

AC Ace Bristol

John

Thank you for your kind offer.

Hopefully he is The Mike Martin . If you can make contact and view his archives can you please cross reference Jim Parsons /BEX333    (USA number plate AKF221)   with The 13+ issues of "Puget Sound Sports Car Club" Magazines he has in his archives.

Last Night I received email from Jerry Van Kalleveen (BEX316) in Holland, He has received a couple of Period pictures (in colour) of BEX333 at Westwood ..  ..   dated 1959/1960. Thanks once again for your assistance...  ... appreciated .. [;)]

A quick thank also to Jerry, I will post both pictures this evening.

Keith..[:)]

AC Ace Bristol

Sorry for delay...

Please find below the two Period pictures received from <b>Jerry Van Kalleveen.</b>

<b>both pictures.  Jim Parsons - Westwood 1959</b

Both these pictures were posted to Jerry by Mark Faviell, apparantly originated from the personal collection of his Father.

I knew BEX333 have been resprayed a few times during it's USA Sports Car Racing campaign "1958 through to end of 1964", Having only seen
        Black &  White pictures and press cuttings it is a surprise to see it in a Light Silvery Blue Gray colour.
   Jim Parsons resprayed it a few times during the period 1958 /1964, due to racing incidents / accidents ...  Once in Beige or light colour  ?and later
         1962/64  in Red..

Have carefully magnified the photo of the rear number plate,studied the driver and the car.
   I can confirm it is definitely BEX333 at Westwood  in 1959 when James run with racing number 251.

Great period pictures ...[;)]   Due to  Corporate  Suicide by Photobucket....  Have reposted  both pictures below.

Thank you Jerry & Mark Faviell .... Really appreciated !
   Keith ... [:)]

mike m

Keith, Had a look for Mike Martin for you and came up with his picture on this link: http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=132627 mike "grimeheel" is shown with others in 2010. Being a later showing of the Autosport forum it may give you another lead. Good luck.
   Mike

AC Ace Bristol

Received the following email via the Forum:-

Hello AC Ace Bristol

You received the following message from: AEX566 (aceca@lycos.com)

At: http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/

Keith;

Re Mike Martin's email-

Appears email domain is whidbey.net rather than whidbey.com. Also Martin signs in to the Auto Forum as "grimeheel" rather than grimheel.  Suggest first sending
   to grimheel@whidbey.net  then try grimeheel@whidbey.net Good luck, Mr. Martin looks like an excellent lead.

Art

Thank you Mike & Art.for your suggestions.

Every picture tells a story,  I now  have a name and a face and good idea of Mikes age group .  ..  I will send email to Mike Martin tonight.

Hopefully  positive news to follow.

Keith.. .. [;)]

jrlucke

Keith, I've left a message at the phone number I found and am awaiting a return call.

If you make contact, I am fairly close (and was at an event and led a tour from Whidbey Island to our community a few weeks ago) if there are copies to pick up and/or post.

The tour was interesting, leading a group of American Corvettes on back roads in the snow. Fat tires, lots of power and snow/ice are not met for one another!

John

AC Ace Bristol

John

I have tried all permutations of email address for Mike Martin without success, each and everyone bounced back.

I know I'm pushing my  luck, but if you don't ...

No Pressure  then ......[:0]..[;)]

Sorry to be so bold and upfront, If you don't get a reply to your phone message could you call upon him when you are next in the area?

Simply don't want to loose a good potential lead, especially if it can substantiate racing history on not only BEX333 but any of the many other Aces raced in Period...[:p]

Seriously any info appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation

Keith

jrlucke

I'll have to retry the phone number as I had no response.

Both Whidbey.net and .com are valid email extensions as I have acquaintances with one or the other. I suspect that as the original Autosport posting was in 2007, the email account is no longer active.

Here in the states we've had corporate acquisitions, etc. which cause accounts/addresses to be changed (i.e. comcast.com addresses in some cases are now frontier.com addresses, etc.)or due to pricing or service or hackers people change services.

AC Ace Bristol

John

Thought I would try another apporoach to make contact with
   Mike Martin. (as you rightfully pointed out, email address has changed.)

Fired a email off yesterday afternoon to  Martin Rudow ....Author  of  "Weekends of Glory"   and  " Long Straights and Hairpin Turns",
   In the hope that he knows Mike Martin and requesting data on SCCA Shelton  4-19-59  &  Deer Park 1959.plus racing and paddock  photos of BEX333 in the later
   colour scheme Silver Grey Blue.  #251  at Westwood in 1959/1960.

Received the following reply at 01.07 this morning 2nd May:

Thanks for the reminder Keith and I will always keep my eye out
   for photos,  Been kind of swamped with other projects lately though.

Mike Martin Has not written books yet, but has a LOT of local racing information and is a great guy. He may be reached on:

grimeheel62 at wavecable  dot  com

Cheers..  ..

Martin Rudow .. [;)]

Fresh email to  Mike Martin and reference to this thread to be  drafted and sent later today......

Keith..  .. [:)]

AC Ace Bristol

Sent a series of three email to  Mike Martin on the new, (his correct) email address:

Please find detailed below a copy of the very prompt and positive reply:-

Hi Keith,

Nice to hear you have a Northwest racer.  I did read your thread on the AC forum.  Wow, what perseverance!  I'm glad you have it.

I don't have any issues of Pit Pass, but I do have the first year of Puget Sound Sports Car News.  My "day job" is writing a history of the old USRRC race series.  I will take a look at the PSSC newspapers tonight and let you know if there is any info on BEX333.

With Vince, Martin, Tom, and Evan you've hit the major keepers of the flame in this area.  I will try to add to what you have so far.

Regards,

Mike Martin

Camano Island, WA  98282

425-530-8021
   Grimeheel62@wavecable.com

Contact has been made, lets hope Mike has some gems hidden away in his archives to complement the ever growing Racing History File on BEX333.

Mike has registered with the Forum,  Just awaiting authorization, then  should be able to post material directly onto this thread.

I await in anticipation........[;)]

Keith

Additional reply after sending a batch of period pictures and a batch of current pictures of BEX333.

Resulted in receipt of 2nd email:-

Keith,

You have not bored me one bit.  I love this stuff.  Just wish I had more time for it.  I should have in a few weeks when I will be done with my USRRC book. Well, I should be done with the hard part.

Totally agree, if you don't ask, you don't get.

I feel enlightened, not pestered.  I promise I'll responded a lot quicker than 9 years.

Regards,

Mike Martin
   Dead Pedal Press[/b

Looking forward to seeing new material, helping create a bigger picture of the Racing History of BEX333...

Keith .. ..[:p]

AC Ace Bristol

Thursday 5th May.

Received another email from  Mike Martin, See attached...  ... Confirming that James H Parsons  competed at SHELTON on  August 28th  1960. as well as competing at the same track re:- the SCCA event on 19th April 1959 where he came 2nd in class D.

<b>Hi Keith,</b>

I went through my collection of Northwest Sports Car News (1960-1961) and NW Rod News (1962-1964) and could find only one mention of Jim Parsons.  I've attached a scan of the page.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.  I will keep my eye out for mention of Parsons in anything else I have, or get.

Regards,

Mike Martin
   Dead Pedal Press
   2288 Elger Park Road
   Camano Island, WA  98282

425-530-8021
   Grimeheel62@wavecable.com

<b>Mike</b>

Great News,  As I didnt have any record of James Parsons competing in this event until receipt of these Race Results. ( all the plaques I have indicate 1st ,2nd or 3rdplacing, comming in 10th is classified as a also ran )

Many thanks Mike....  another piece of the jigsaw,Really appreciated..[;)]

I will Post copy of Race Results later today.

<font size="2"><b>SHELTON...  August  28th  1960

Jim Parsons  came 10th  in  Race  No 4  -  A, B & C Production</b></font id="size2">  Can any one confirm Race number..[?] Has anyone race and paddock pictures .. [?]

<b>Keith..</b>..  [:)]

jrlucke

Keith, I'm sure you've already checked this info.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/archive/Jim-Parsons-USA.html

They have the August 28 1960 race listed but with no info.

They do have a Ken Miller and C.L. Thomas listed as racing AC's at various Shelton races.

For those races for Jim Parsons noted, they do ask for photos, they might appreciate the specific race photos in your archive. (It might jog other visitors to that site memories.)

John

AC Ace Bristol

To all those still following this Thread:

Received the following email from   "Mike Martin"

Hi Keith,

Thanks for dogging the webmaster.  I have submitted another registration to the forum.

In the meantime, feel free to post our correspondence.

I need to find a way to scan all my issues of Puget Sound Sports Car News, or get them scanned.  They are 11"x17" format and my scanner does only 8-1/2"x11".  Besides James Parsons, at least 3 other guys raced AC Bristols in this area and I think it might help your research if you know what the other folks did also.

If I can't scan them myself, I will take them to an office shop to be scanned.  If they can't/won't, I will get them photocopied and send them to you via snail-with-wings mail.  This won't happen for two or three weeks.  I will be travelling part of next week and I need about 2-3 weeks to finish my book.

Will get back to you when I have something substantial.  In the meantime happy hunting and best of luck.

Regards,

Mike Martin

All sounds very promising,  Must learn to be patient...

Will post additional information as and when it materialises, In the meantime.. John Lucke ..  ..  I might call upon your services to arrange a meeting with Mike, as we (Members of ACOC) could learn of the Racing History of four or five other Aces as well as more History on BEX333...[:)]

I believe Mike Martin is referring to other Drivers of Ace Bristol's Racing in  NW USA, Vancouver & British Columbia in the mid 1950s through to mid 1960s  as the following:-

Ken Miller,  Ed Clemments,  Al Doyan,  Bob Constabaris ,
   Dr V D Clausliong, and Le Roy C "Tommy" Thomas
.. ..  [?]

Keith..[:)]..[:)]