News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Racing History BEX333 (1957-1964)

Started by AC Ace Bristol, January 04, 2009, 13:56:28

Previous topic - Next topic

AC Ace Bristol

quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke

Keith, I'm sure you've already checked this info.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/archive/Jim-Parsons-USA.html

They have the August 28 1960 race listed but with no info.

They do have a Ken Miller and C.L. Thomas listed as racing AC's at various Shelton races.

For those races for Jim Parsons noted, they do ask for photos, they might appreciate the specific race photos in your archive. (It might jog other visitors to that site memories.)

John

John

Thank you for the Lead.

I Have been in contact with  Martin  Krejci  of  Racing Sports Cars over the past three years, He has indicated that it might be possible to cover SCCA
   events and would consider creating a section detailing all Aces which competed during the 1950s & 1960s..

However this can only be acheived by members supplying photos  and documents substantiating and authenticating  Drivers  Racing data & Aces.

As Martin carries out and maintains this website as a hobby we cannot expect instant results.  He does have a life outside his Hobby.
   ( Rome wasn't built in a Day, or a week, these things take time but do come to fruition with a little help )

So can all who have followed this thread and also researched the racing history of their Ace / Aces please visit :

http://www.racingsportscars.com

and

email ;-  Martin Krejci on  rsc@racingsportscars.com

I have emailed photos and various data to complement the new area section reference ..  Complete Archive of  Jim Parsons - BEX333.  
   Hopefully within the next few years we will have a good compilation of data on AC Aces raced in SCCA events during the 1950s & 1960s. [;)]

Cheers for Now

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

jrlucke

Keith, Martins' being able to add SCCA information is extremely informative.

Unfortunately in many cases the specifics on the cars may not be available. Going from old programs may provide driver info and general car info but not specifics.

Having people such as yourself who know the ownership history allowing others to identify related individuals seems to be the best way of filling out the information.

Hopefully Martin and the folks at Tam's site will continue to add and flesh our their information with assistance/feedback from folks such as yourself, Louis, etc.

Keep up the good work,

John

nikbj68

QuoteOriginally posted by AC Ace Bristol...Thursday 5th May.
   Received another email from  Mike Matin...Confirming that James H Parsons  competed at SHELTON on  August 28th  1960. as well as competing at the same track re:- the SCCA event on 19th April 1959 where he came 2nd in class D...I will Post copy of Race Results later today. SHELTON...  August  28th  1960:
   Jim Parsons  came 10th  in  Race  No 4  -  A, B & C Production  Can any one confirm Race number..? Has anyone race and paddock pictures .. Keith...   :)
And here`s a (slightly edited) copy of those race results:

Jim A

Interesting classifications.  I remember AC's in E, D and C, but not B.

AC Ace Bristol

quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke

Keith, I'm sure you've already checked this info.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/archive/Jim-Parsons-USA.html

They have the August 28 1960 race listed but with no info.

They do have a Ken Miller and C.L. Thomas listed as racing AC's at various Shelton races.

For those races for Jim Parsons noted, they do ask for photos, they might appreciate the specific race photos in your archive. (It might jog other visitors to that site memories.)

John

John

Thank you for the Lead.

I Have been in contact with  Martin  Krejci  of  Racing Sports Cars over the past three years, He has indicated that it might be possible to cover SCCA
   events and would consider creating a section detailing all Aces which competed during the 1950s & 1960s..

However this can only be acheived by members supplying photos  and documents substantiating and authenticating  Drivers  Racing data & Aces.

As Martin carries out and maintains this website as a hobby we cannot expect instant results.  He does have a life outside his Hobby.
   ( Rome wasn't built in a Day, or a week, these things take time but do come to fruition with a little help )

So can all who have followed this thread and also researched the racing history of their Ace / Aces please visit :

http://www.racingsportscars.com

and

email ;-  Martin Krejci on  rsc@racingsportscars.com

I have emailed photos and various data to complement the new area section reference ..  Complete Archive of  Jim Parsons - BEX333.  
   Hopefully within the next few years we will have a good compilation of data on AC Aces raced in SCCA events during the 1950s & 1960s. [;)]

Cheers for Now

Just to keep you all upto date,  received the following email  from
    Martin Krejci....

Hello Keith,

Thank you very much for your photos. I will try to use them as I identify all races and get time to process them. (there is another 5000 in the queue and I do race by race collections first)

Kind regards,

Martin

Martin Krejci
   Racing Sports Cars - chief editor, photographer
   programming services Health and Beauty Systems - product consultancy and distribution Certified Aloe Vera Gel, Colostrum, Reishi & many more.

We will have to wait in turn for photos and additional data to be posted / uploaded, In the meantime should anyone have SCCA Racing data on any Aces raced during the 1950s & 1960s please forward copy on to Martin Krejci. Please also copy Tony Bancroft to complement his reference library and the ACOC Ace Bristol Register.

Last but not least,  thank you Nik for posting  Racing Results reference  SCCA Shelton August 28th 1960.

Cheers for Now..

AC Ace Bristol

Hi .. to those still following this thread:

The wheels are still turning,  Copy of  email received from Mike Martin this morning:-

Hi Keith,

No problem.  I understand busy.

I will burn a cd/dvd tonight and get it in the mail tomorrow.  How about $15. ( $20.00 dollar bill in post to cover CD & pp )

The book is in the final stages.  I have given my graphic artist all the text and race results charts.  He is laying out the pages and saving room for photos.

I have, or will soon get, about half of the photos I need and I'm placing an order with the Ford Museum for the balance of the photos I need.  Then I have to name the files in the order I want them in the book and write captions.  After that, I tidy up the appendix charts, finish the acknowledgements, etc.  I imagine I'll be done with my part (other than proofing) in a month.

Sorry, but BEX333 and James Parsons did not compete in any of these races.  My book covers just the USRRC races from 1963 to 1968.

Do you know if James participated in any Northern California races?  If so, he might be mentioned in issues of "The Wheel" magazine.  Just a thought.

Regards,

Mike Martin
   Dead Pedal Press

2288 Elger Park Road
   Camano Island, WA  98282

425-530-8021
   Grimeheel62@wavecable.com

Looking forward to receipt of CD/DVD.

Once I have a copy of the CD I will view and hopefully confirm & post  details on the racing history on the four or five Ace Bristols that competed in this race  series against  James Parsons during the late 1950s ... [;)]  Any info of interest to those owning any of these Ace Bristols will be made available.[;)]

Perserverence is paying off with new data regularly  materialising, being supplied by the cosmoplitan group of ACOC members and AC enthusiasts, who have followed this thread over the past few years.

Without the ACOC Forum and your help this would not have been possible..  ..  ..

A vote of thanks to you all  ..  .. Much Appreciated..  ..  ..  ..[:)]..[:)]

Cheers for Now

Keith..[;)]

AC Ace Bristol

Hi to all those who are still following this thread.

Received CD/DVD from " Mike Martin ", so must find time to view all 108 pages from the 13 copies of The Puget Sound Sports Car Club Magazine/s 1960/1961.
   A quick scan through records James Parsons a few times.

***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***

Received the following email from  "Vince & Marion Howlett" reference contact for Al Doyon who regularly  raced against James Parsons and rebuilt the engine in/of BEX333 back in 1965 on behalf of new owner (2nd) Lee Kolb who bought BEX333 in December 1964. Engine and body work in need of TLC.

Hi  Keith.

Last week, I tried to phone Barbara Lovely-Doyon.  She is the sister of racer Pete Lovely, who passed away a couple of months ago.  She is also the wife of Al Doyon, who raced an AC Bristol in the late 50s, early 60s.  I wondered if she had any info or photos of Al Doyon's AC Bristol.  She phoned me back last night.  She has some photos of Al's AC Bristol, but I don't know what else she has.

She said it would be fine for you to contact her.
   She lives in Sammamish, Washington, near Seattle.  Here is her email
   address:

belovelydoyon   at comcast  dot net

It would be great if you could find Al's AC Bristol, though you will probably need the serial number.  I don't know if she has that.  She said they sold it to someone named Ed Mcbee.  I found this contact info:

Edwin C McBee
   5518 88th St NE
   Marysville, WA 98270
   (360) 657-4158

Do any of you  Know Edwin C Mc Bee..[?]
   Do any of you live near by..[?].

email from Vince  continues:-

Also, Al Doyon is still alive, though in a nursing home.  Apparently, he had herpes in the brain 32 years ago, which most people would not survive.  So, sadly, I believe he is now not able to communicate.

Hope all is well.  How is the Jim Parsons AC Bristol doing?

regards

Vince Howlett, Victoria, BC, Canada,

Thank you vince for new information..[;)]
   Must make time to follow up,  this weekend ...Actioned, email and various jpegs 1957/2011.... sent Sunday 17th July

AC Ace Bristol

The ACOC Forum is still producing results.. May it continue...

Received the following email. Sat 16th July, from Fran,
   in Vancouver.

Keith.

I was scanning the blog connected with your ACE Bristol the other day and in the post of May 2010 you were enquiring after Ed Clements, the Photographic Editor
   for Pit Pass.
   I know Ed, and I am writing to see if you are still interested in contacting him.  Personally, I will be in the UK in September and may be able to bring some info with me or maybe pursuade Ed to come himself, especially if he could see your car.

A reply, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

Fran

Positive reply sent via email.
   Possibility to tie in with Goodwood Revival
..[?]..[?]

Cheers for Now

AC Ace Bristol

Reference  Ed Clements.

email received from Fran

Keith

Thank you for your reply and the offer re: Goodwood revival meet of Sept 17/18.  Our plans have not been finalised, in fact haven't even booked the plane but the dates would fall into our intended stay in the UK.

I forgot to mention that Ed also drove at Westwood, more than likely at the same time as Jim Parsons, I will be able to confirm this after I speak with Ed, presently we are at opposite ends of Canada, myself in PEI on the East Coast and Ed in British Columbia.

There is also this book "
   The chequered past: sports car racing and rallying in Canada, 1951-1991
   By David Anderson Charters

Which is available on Amazon.ca at a minimum.  It mentions both Abbotsford and Westwood.  I couldn't determine if your car is mentioned in here but it does mention Ed winning the initial CRRC (Cdn Road Race of Champions) at Westwood in 1971. There is a summary of the book on Google Books.

I will let you know our plans as they develop.

Fran

Anyone have a copy..[?],  If so, is there any mention to James (Jim) Parsons or any photos of Aces on track or in Paddock..[?]

AC Ace Bristol

Received email from Fran,

Keith

Flight booked to UK to coincide with Goodwood,  Unfortunately Ed Clements cannot make it,  Will bring book " The Chequered Past" and hopefully some photos and racing data on BEX333 and Other Aces raced during late 1950s early 1960s.

Fran

Emailed reply requesting any data on any Aces raced in Period.

AC Ace Bristol

Meeting arranged with Fran for Monday 26th September, hopefully she has brought over from Canada photos and racing data of the 7 or so Aces raced in the  1950s/1960s in NW USA ,  Vancouver and British Columbia.

Ed  Clements cannot make the trip, so will speak to him on the phone.

As Ed raced his Ace against BEX333 on various occassions should  gleen some useful information for the Ace  Registers and other ACOC Members.

Hope to post new material late September.

Keith..[:)]...[:)].

AC Ace Bristol

Met up with Fran for Lunch and trip out in BEX333. Fran has known Ed Clemments for a while but unable to bring any new material over to UK due to series of travel and personel committments, simply ran out of time.  However did bring over from Canada the book "The Chequered Past"  Sports car racing & rallying 1951-1991... by David Charters. 345 pages on development of Canadian Motor Sport, Culture and Social life. Very few pictures but full of Facts on circuits, drivers teams and politics, will take a while to read through and follow up new potential leads.

Long term plan, As Fran lives close to Ed she will keep in contact with him and hopefully secure racing details  and photos of the various Ace Bristol's Raced in and around the race tracks in the region of Vancouver during mid 1950s through early 1960s.

Ed Clemments definitely raced a Ace, Knew and competed against Jim Parsons, Al Doyon, Bob Constabaris, Ken Miller & Dr Clausing.
   However due to house moves and now being in his 83rd year it may take some time to find photos and general race data, assuming it/they haven't been discarded over the years.[:(]

Thank you Fran for your company and for offering to keep in contact with Ed Clemments when you get back home in Vancouver. Really
   appreciated.

Keith..[;)]

AC Ace Bristol

Hi

Sorry to repeat this Lead... But help required.

Received the following email from "Vince & Marion Howlett" reference contact for Al Doyon who regularly raced against James Parsons and rebuilt the engine in/of BEX333 back in 1965 on behalf of new owner (2nd) Lee Kolb who bought BEX333 in December 1964. Engine and body work in need of TLC.

Hi Keith.

Last week, I tried to phone Barbara Lovely-Doyon. She is the sister of racer Pete Lovely, who passed away a couple of months ago. She is also the wife of Al Doyon, who raced an AC Bristol in the late 50s, early 60s. I wondered if she had any info or photos of Al Doyon's AC Bristol. She phoned me back last night. She has some photos of Al's AC Bristol, but I don't know what else she has.

She said it would be fine for you to contact her.
   She lives in Sammamish, Washington, near Seattle. Here is her email
   address:

belovelydoyon at comcast dot net

It would be great if you could find Al's AC Bristol, though you will probably need the serial number. I don't know if she has that. She said they sold it to someone named Ed Mcbee. I found this contact info:

Edwin C McBee
   5518 88th St NE
   Marysville, WA 98270
   (360) 657-4158

Do any of you Know Edwin C Mc Bee..
   Do any of you live near by...

email from Vince continues:-

Also, Al Doyon is still alive, though in a nursing home. Apparently, he had herpes in the brain 32 years ago, which most people would not survive. So, sadly, I believe he is now not able to communicate.

Hope all is well. How is the Jim Parsons AC Bristol doing?

regards

Vince Howlett, Victoria, BC, Canada,

Thank you vince for new information..
   Must make time to follow up, this weekend ...Actioned, email and various jpegs 1957/2011.... sent Sunday 17th July

Keith....

Edited by - AC Ace Bristol on 20 July 2011 18:13:42

Assistance Required  ( 2nd October 2011 )

Hi.

Sent couple of emails over the past 3 months but no response, So copied some photos and wrote a letter to Mrs Barbara Lovely-Doyon with the address  as confirmed above.

However my letter has  now crossed the Pond twice as yesterday it  returned with the following red stamped message.

Not Delivered as Addressed unable to Forward.

Can one of you  reading this thread confirm a more accurate address for Mrs B Lovely-Doyon .. than    Sammamish,  Washington, Nr Seattle. USA.
..[?]

Thanking you in anticipation of  any additional information & assistance.

Cheers for Now...[;)].

Keith .[:)]..[:)]

AC Ace Bristol

Mike Mansergh..

Thank you for emailing the attached link ...  Yahoo People Search.

Keith

FYI ........

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=first%3A%22b%22+last%3A%22Lovely-Doyon%22+&fr=php-phon

Best Regards,

Mike..[;)]

Thank you Mike,

Yesterdays returned envelope-package from Sammamish, Now enclosed in a new envelope , re-addressed and already posted back to Sammamish  correctly addressed to Mrs Barbara Lovely- Doyon.

Hopefully Baraba Lovely-Doyon still has some of Al Doyon's photographs and racing data in the loft and responds in a postive way.

Will give her a call one evening this week.

Thanks again Mike for confirming address and telephone number

Keith ..[:)]..[:)]

jrlucke

Keith, once you've made contact if you need any local assistance, this address is about an hour away (and within a couple miles of our previous home).

John