News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Aceca window frame

Started by David Byng, April 22, 2011, 21:28:54

Previous topic - Next topic

David Byng

The rebirth of BE601 has been making slow progress of late - getting through the application of the etching primer stage proved to be a bit of a struggle. Anyway that's done now so it is going back to the workshop this week to be reunited with its 100D2 engine & gearbox - serious progress at last.
   One snag has emerged which is that the wooden frame of the rear window (driver's side) has rotted to the point that it cannot be made good - thankfully although the nearside has delaminated to a certain extent, it is repairable. So, advice please as to the best way to get round this problem?

Aceca289

It's great to hear that you're making progress on BE601...I am at the final stages of finishing up a restoration of AEX521 and find myself in the same predicament regarding replacing the wood trim around the rear ¼ windows. I have spoken to a woodworker in our region who has been doing auto interior woodwork for almost 30 years (mostly dashes and trim work for British cars) and he explained that there are two ways to approach reproducing these bent pieces. One involves steam bending which would require a jig and a steaming box. This may be how these pieces were originally mass produced...I'm not sure. The other method involves building up the piece by laminating the thin pieces of wood around a form or jig in stages to build up the piece into the shape required to fit the window. This is how the woodworker explained it to me.

"Doing a built-up, bent laminate is also a possibility. So instead of bending a full thickness piece, you stack glue thinner pieces together and wrap them around and clamp to a form of the proper shape. When the epoxy dries you would have a piece with the proper shape made up of many plies of whatever veneer choice you pick (mahogany, walnut, or something else)."

This woodworker indicated that producing the form would be expensive and once the form was produced many trim pieces could be made at a more reasonable price. I wonder if someone on your side of the pond has gone through this process before and has a form (jig) available. I would be more than willing to join you in your efforts to fabricate multiple trim pieces in order to cut down on the costs. Are there other Aceca owners who need these pieces made up? The more pieces someone makes...the lower the cost per unit.  You had mentioned replacing only one of your window trim pieces and restoring the other. I would recommend that you consider replacing both, since it may be difficult to match the existing wood (grain and finish).  Both of my ¼ window trim pieces need replacing and the woodworker I spoke to wanted to use all of the same type of wood in re-trimming my car so they all pieces matched.

I look forward to hearing from you, and other club members that might want to join in on making up a number of these pieces to lower the cost per unit.

Thanks,

John

David Byng

Dear John,
   Thanks for your response. As many Acecas have been restored over the years, my instinct is that is someone in the UK has tackled this problem already. I'll make some calls to likely people and I'll keep you posted.
   Best wishes,
   David

Aceca289

David,

Thanks for offering to check around to see if someone else has the experience to provide a solution to reproducing these trim pieces. I was talking to a friend of mine in town (Greg) who has a 1959 Aceca and it appears his rear ¼ window trim is thinner than mine and looks to be made out of one piece of wood (not laminated).  The trim pieces on my Aceca (1955) are thicker (1/4" thick and 1-1/2" wide, made out of 5 plies of wood). I will have Greg post a few photos so that everyone can see the difference. The later ones appear to be made out of a darker grained wood and mine appear to be much lighter (most likely Ash). What are the measurements of your trim and can you tell what kind of wood they are made of? <Do any other Aceca owners want to chime in??> Maybe there is another way to make these trim pieces depending on the thickness of the wood used.

The research I have done indicates that the woodwork in general on early Acecas appears different than later ones. I've noticed that most of the Acecas up to the low 600 chassis numbers appear to have a strait grained wood used on the dash and glove box, while later Acecas almost always have walnut dashes and glove boxes. Maybe the window trim was changed when they switched to walnut on the dash, or was the walnut an option that became more prevalent as the years went on?? What type of wood does BE601 have on the dash and glove box? Any other Aceca owners want to comment?

John
   AEX521

59 Aceca

David,

Here are the two photos John asked me to post which clearly illustrate the apparent difference between the early and later cars.  John's 1956 model utilizes the multi-ply approach to achieving the tight bend.  My 1959 car's rear quarter window trim  appears to be a solid piece of mahogany that must have been steam bent.  As John mentions, my car also has a burled walnut dash, center console and glove box.

I hope you find this helpful.  Congratulations on your progress in bringing BE601 back to life.

Best regards,
   Greg

Circa 1956

Circa 1959

lew

David,
    I am having the front L/H trim piece steamed for my car out of a solid piece. Would it be of any help if I asked my "man" if he could copy one of my rears for you? If so you would have to tell me what wood to use.
   Could you also please post more pics of your interior as my car has no trim.I am particularly curious about the door apertures.Your lower pic seems to show that there is a wooden trim that runs up the interior door frame, perhaps to secure a sealing rubber?
   Cheers
   Lew

59 Aceca

Lew,

I am actually the one who posted the two piotures of the rear quarter window frames.  My car, AEX734, is actually very complete and if you want to give me some idea of the details you are looking for I can post the appropriate pictures.  This may or may not be of interest to the other forum readers so if you want to give me your email address I can send them to you directly.

Best,
   Greg