News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

BE 646

Started by dkp_cobra, March 21, 2011, 16:17:16

Previous topic - Next topic

dkp_cobra

quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68
   ... it looks like the angle onto the shaft will make it a lot stronger than the original...

I hope so. The original shaft seems to have a light bend going into the cross pipe. Also the hole catching the brake cable is positioned more to the rear. So I can have a longer way to pull the hand brake if I want.

dkp_cobra

Some month ago I had a couple of parts for re-chroming. Some parts were real hard stuff for chroming because the zinc diecasting had strong corrosion:

Today, some of the parts came back:

They look wonderful. And see in the middle, yes, the real McCoy. The last days I was thinking about what will arrive first, the re-chromed version or the new one. But my new gas filler cap seems to be still on its way [:I]

dkp_cobra

Ironic, one day after all my re-chromed parts arrived the new fuel filler cap came. It looks wonderful. Thank you Keith and everybody who was involved.

Before I disassemble something I make a lot of pictures. Normally, I do not need them but I was so happy to have them for the assembling of the internal light. So many nappy parts.

And it works.

dkp_cobra

I started work on the footbox. Since I will convert the car from RHS to LHS the old hole of the glove box must be closed:

Done:

The footbox was already strongly modified:

Converting a big hole into a very big hole:

Time to close it:

Done:

dkp_cobra

Next day I had a closer look at the result and I have to say that I was totally unsatisfied with my work. The wall was skew-whiff.

I decided to do it again. This time I cut a really big hole

and laminate in three steps. I think the result is much better:

Btw. how many holes can be drilled into a footbox [:0]

dkp_cobra

The left side is finished. Enough space for the spark plug socket.

But I am not sure whether there is enough space in the box for the throttle pedal. I think I have to install the driver seat to find this out.

dkp_cobra

As I wrote I have to check whether the space on the left side in the footbox is big enough. Of course, it is not:

So I have to modify the box again. But I spend the whole weekend sitting in the car dreaming of what will be some day ...

dkp_cobra

I got my bonnet back. It was welded and now, I have quite nice louvres.

In the past the skin of the bonnet must have been removed. The old rivets were still in the tube and made a noise like a rainstick/rainmaker. I drilled a 8 mm hole into the tube and got this:

Then I tried to close the hole.

Fired by the success to close the hole and not to have widened it I thought it is time to modify the right exhaust header. First, I tried it with an old tube.

So, I made some cuts into the exhaust headers

bent it with an old jack

and welded it together

The quality of my weldseams depends heavily whether I find a comfortable seat position wrt. the object of welding. Nevertheless, after sanding everything was fine (and closed!!!).

And it gave the the desired space:

dkp_cobra

My dash board came back from welding. You can see the offset of the steering position wrt. the original position:

Cutting the outer curve was not so easy as it seems but it fits now:

The position of the steering column works fine now:

Time to cut the hole for the big instruments into the dash board:

Is it just me or is there a certain similarity to a well known sign:

Back to topic:

dkp_cobra

To cut the hole for the glovebox first the right position must be found:

Then, the hole can be cut into the footbox

and later into the dash board

Seems so easy but this work took six (6 !!!) hours today.

Migge

So you got the off? On a Thursday?

dkp_cobra

QuoteSo you got the off? On a Thursday?
You need the right job  ;)

AEX542

That dash is coming along great.  Thanks for all the pics and the write up, it has been a tremendous help during my build.

nikbj68

HOLY INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS! It`s "Dashman"! The work you are doing is right on so many levels! [:)]
   Did you manage to do anything about the step in the side of the footwell?

French Frie

Amazing, as usual, Peter !

Ps: did you get a discount for the batch of level bars [;)] ?