News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Original Tires

Started by linklaw, October 03, 2006, 12:20:02

Previous topic - Next topic

linklaw

Last week I had the original tires on my 1985 MK IV replaced with a set of new BF Goodrich G force Sports. What a difference in the way the car drives. The originals were hard and slippery while the new tires grip like crazy.  My question is whether I should hang onto the original, date coded, tires or just toss them. They have a good amount of tread left (the fronts look almost new) and are not dry rotted. Not that anyone would want to drive on them, but maybe someone would want them for a show car or spare tire. They are 16 inch 225/50/16 fronts and 255/50/16 rears. They are the Goodyear "Gatorbacks" and were made in Luxemburg and Belgium. Any thoughts?

Mark IV

I suggest that you keep them. One of the hardest and most expensive items for a Cobra is the Goodyear blue streak tires for those who do the concours show thing. If you ever sell you have "the original tires" to include. While I would never drive on them, they are good sale bait when the time comes.
   A friend with a Mark IV, JBo on this board, also recently replaced the old gatorbacks and found a new car comes with the new tires!
   Rick
   rick

jbottini

Linklaw, give me a call. i unfortunately trashed the old goodyears, except the spre which has never hit the road. i need to talk to you re side curtain and getting some pics from you. Jbo

Linklaw ... hold on to them ... or I'll buy them from you ... I'm doing just what you did taking them off but saving the original tires.

Ron