News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

CSX30601 for sale

Started by ANF289, November 14, 2008, 12:36:02

Previous topic - Next topic

TLegate

jbottini

Trevor, there is a thread on CC on the car. Is it a BA car from 80's or 90's? Rear fenders look decidely MKIV. Jim

1984MkIV

REV

It's certainly a very pretty and an unusual car. But where does it sit within the Cobra world. Was it built with the permission of "AC" or not? If it was built before Brian Anglis was licenced to build "AC's" then surely a royalty fee would have had to have been paid and permission granted. If not it's a replica? Just a thought?????? And what was the Japanese business man incarcerated for??? Wouldn't be anything to do with fraud would it????

Another thought is the poor guy who paid $300,000.00 believing it was genuine. I bet he was really narked!

I think if you take the whole history of the car it is really financial bad news! Buying it would be a bit like facing "The Curse of the Mummy" with Carter opening Tutankhamen's tomb!

Before you bid think of all those that have gone before you.....

But when all said and done............... it sure is pretty!
   [:)]

Emmanueld

Probably a Kirkham or modern Shelby!

E

AK1131

I was told the Japanese business man was incarcerated for tax evasion. Probably worked for Enron. I call to see if the wheels were stamped Autokraft. I was told Cobra 2 or II. I suggested looking for additional serial numbers in the frame and told the gentleman were these numbers are located on my MK IV.

nikbj68

Brian Angliss would not have given a vehicle a chassis number in an incorrect format, e.g. 5 numbers. This car started life as CSX3060...no '1' on the end. Unfortunately, Mr.Shelby decided to build a series of 'completion' Cobras, and used the same number.(I`m not sure which one came first though, despite the fact that the auction states manufacture in the early 80`s vs. 90`s for the contnuations) The owner of the 'real' continuation Shelby took excepetion to the other 3060 being sold at Barrett Jackson(for the 2nd time, where it sold for $105k...Las Vegas `08, lot 811)and from their website I quote:
   "This impeccable example of a 1966 427 Shelby Cobra S/C was previously titled and registered as CSX3060 until it was determined another CSX3060 existed. At that time this car was issued an Arizona special construction VIN AZ303358."

REV

But is the car documented as an AC? Is it on any registers anywhere? Is there any paper work at all to support the fact that it was actually built by AC? Are we even actually sure that Brain Anglis ever laid eyes on it?

I know nothing about the car other than what I've read on the ebay ad and what I've read on here, but I can't see anything that Guarantees this car is an AC. I can see an awful lot of inuendo that it is this or that, but no Guarantees supported by paper.

It may well have been built by Brain Anglis, it may be everything that is implied, but without a shred of documented proof to its existence it is not (to my mind) an AC. In the catologue description it is termed a Shelby Cobra Re-Creation. So how does the vendor get from recreation all the way through to claiming its an AC? Seems a fairly giant step to me!

But I still thinks its lovely!
   [:)]

AK1131

As the seller mentioned "this car was talked about in the current Shelby registry" so for those without the 2008 SAAC registry, on page 705 reads

"Another car, also numbered CSX3060 was entered at Barrett Jackson auction (Scottsdale,AZ) 1/03. This car began life as a chassic/body built by Brian Angliss'CP Autokraft in the early 80'and given the serial number CSX30601."

nikbj68

On another Forum, the owner of the 'Real' 3060 mentions that this car was 'wrecked' at some point also!!!
   All good clean fun, eh?

TLegate

I do enjoy these tangled webs....it's probably (maybe) fair to say the car is/was an Angliss-built AC, but how much of the original car remains after it was rebuilt in the USA is another matter. It may well have left the factory as CSX3060 since Brian Angliss did assign these numbers to a few cars, as he considered AC were the only company entitled to do so. To the best of my knowledge, he never assigned a 5-digit number to anything! It's a replica in the sense that everything non-Thames Ditton built, after 1968, is a replica.

As a further example, there are two CSX3056 in existence and it's down to personal interpretation as to which is the 'real' car (although both are 'replicas' in the proper sense of the word). Mike McCluskey built the first 3056 for Carroll Shelby, as the first of his proposed run of 'completion' Shelby American Cobras and Brian built his 3056 to make the point that only AC Cars ever assigned chassis numbers, not Shelby American. The 'AC' 3056 is shown on page 176 of my '40 Years' book. These cars were built during the time of the Angliss/Shelby 'disagreement' when the toys were being thrown from the pram.

Assuming the accident damage has been properly repaired, it's doubtless a nice example, but best purchased as a fun car rather than for future investment purposes!!

1984MkIV

The reserve has been lowered! No matter if it is an "original" AC (what ever an "original" AC or "original" Shelby may be), it´s a beauty and maybe an inexpensive opportunity to acquire an aluminium car with close to original look - and a sharp look indeed!

Michael

ANF289

What ever it is, just for the record, the owner apparently didn't sell for US $90,100.00 (Reserve not met).