News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Clutch Quadrant Replacement

Started by jmohara, August 26, 2019, 23:05:26

Previous topic - Next topic

jmohara

I am going to embark on this as its making some odd noises down there!

I know there are threads on this, but some of the links have expired.

I am looking for any detailed instructions to do this on our cars - it's a tight space! Do you need to remove the pedal box to do it right?

Any help much appreciated!!!!

Michael

1985 CCX

I assume this is a master or slave change?
Only have performed this on a std 289 car.  Usually held in place and easily changed out.  Add pictures as it helps us help you.....
Jeff Gagnon
AC MKIV #1085 and CSX2375r
GagnonJeffreyS@gmail.com

jmohara

Plastic quadrant on the clutch pedal. A lot of people change it for a steel replacement....

There were threads on how to do it but they are dead links now.

westcott

Hi Michael,

you can do it in the car but the easiest is to remove the pedal box.

The pedal box is held in front of the car by 2 nuts to the bolts of the brake booster and on top by to other nuts.

Remove the nuts and You can remove the pedal box but before:
- removed the clip from the brake booster rod visible on the brake pedal from the rear
- disconnect the nutral safety switch and brake light switch

If I remember correctly the quadrant is from a period Sierra and is color coded, ours shoud be white.

Unfortunatelly I lost all my notes on spare part #s because of pad malfunction and had no backup....

An example of a complete repair kit is here:
https://picclick.de/Ford-SIERRA-MK1-MK2-Kupplung-Pedal-Nachsteller-RS-112581082944.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Don't click on details, the offer is not longer available, just take it as generic pics for the parts you normally need to repair the clutch pedal adjustment.

I will check my parts bin this evening for part numbers if nobody else is responding in between.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

jmohara

Hi Uwe,
As usual you are a legend.
My brake lights are activated by a switch on the brake lines and I dont have a neutral safety switch so all good.
I am going to use an aluminum replacement - and just manually adjust.
Did you have to take the steering column out or did you work around it?
M

westcott

The pedal box is left from the column and goes out with the column in place.

In the 80s Ford sold racing clutch pedals with quadrant adjustment by a set screw so the manual  adjustment is a common improovement.

The aluminum quadrants sold in the US for the mustang will not fit,  the diameter/radius is too big.

The radius must be 50mm to work in the assembly.

Here you see the tech specs and Ford part #:
http://www.fordopedia.org/parts-catalog/sierra-mk1/D2.10

The numbers are: 83BB-7L583AA and G82520 on the quadrant

jmohara

jmohara

There must be a 50mm alloy one out there somewhere! Anyone?

Flyinghorse

This could be a project to make some 50mm ones if no ready made alternatives surface.

I have not been a victim of the plastic quadrant thru breakage but got caught out by the automatic adjustment so would prefer manual, though I now know all about resetting the quadrant after fitting a new clutch cable.
Graham

Kevin C

Touch wood I have never had to replace mine, so have no personal experience to share, but it may be worth chatting to:

http://randbmotorsport.co.uk/shop/Details.asp?ProductID=386
+
https://shop.grahamgoode.com/clutch-cables--quadrants-21548-c.asp

Flyinghorse

Kevin,
Thas useful info and I have dropped R&B an email.
The issue may be that an adjustable clutch cable will need to be made up also.
Graham

jmohara

westcott

jmohara

Hauled the peddle box out and for sure the quadrant is stripped. New plastic one ordered.

Uwe - where on the adjusted did you set it on install?

M