News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Rear disc runout

Started by rsk289, July 23, 2019, 11:10:18

Previous topic - Next topic

rsk289

Does anyone have a figure for the max permissible runout on a rear disc for a leafspring car?  I've just rebuilt a rear hub with new RHP bearings, seals etc. and a new disc, and despite having a machine shop set the interference tolerance for the axle shaft fit, true up the hub face for the disc fit and check the run-out on the bench, I have 5 thou runout at the edge of the new disc.  I had terrible brake judder before under heavy braking, and suspect I still will have (won't know until the new pads arrive).  I wonder if there's a problem with the hub?

rsk289

Just to say I've sorted this and now have around 0.001" run out on the disc, and all my pedal vibrations have vanished!  So have the flickering brake lights...

Flyinghorse

For future reference what was the issue/solution?

rsk289

The issue is a little involved!

My hubs and discs are double drilled to allow for peg drive, which I don't use.  When the parts were machined, the machinist couldn't get the disc-to-hub mounting bolts through the holes due, probably, to over-enthusiastic plating of the hub.  Rather than re-drill the holes, he used nuts and bolts through the peg-drive holes, which are slightly larger.
The parts were indexed, but when I assembled the hubs I clearanced the bolt holes slightly and assembled correctly using those.  I suspect I managed to get some debris between the two, but nothing showed on another dismantling.  Another careful cleaning and assembly and it's now fine.  I've done a test drive (Silverstone Historic) and all vibration under braking has gone, making it a lot more pleasant to drive.

bbrown

Thanks for reporting your solution!