News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Adjustable steering column

Started by jbottini, October 07, 2007, 18:52:55

Previous topic - Next topic

jbottini

I have a couple pieces of plastic bits on the cockpit floor, and a steering column that drops into the lower most postion. I broke it! Question is , are parts atainable, is repair feasible and if not, if anyone else has experienced this can you simply "bolt" or fasten column in upper most position and please describe. I can get pics of bits, but the long and short is that even though the lever will engage and stay up...the column won't, it appears to not be engaging anything. The column has a Ford part markings and a square hub where it faces the dash, lever is on the left side of column.

dkp_cobra

Hi Jim,

maybe I misunderstood something, but I guess the plastic handle is broken. Here is a picture of my steering column.

If it is only the plastic handle and you just want to fix it in a certain position it should be enough to use a normal nut instead of the plastic handle.

Regards, Peter

jbottini

Peter, I wasn't clear, it appears the lever is intact, moves up and down freely and even appears to lock...but doesnt. trying to figure out where the pieces came from in the mechanism is next weekends job (or this week). I believe locking ito place via bolt or something is solution just wanted to see if anyone had gone through the pain and get advise. I didn't see your picture attached. send to jamesbottini877@msn.com if you would. Jim

Mark IV

Jim,
   I think Peter's unit is the earlier column which was a Rover unit if I recall. I will search out a parts illustration of the Ford unit in your MK IV.

jbottini

fast_4

Jim, my car is an 1985, do you want a photo of what mine looks like?

Don 609-432-4724

jbottini

fast_4

Jim, I have the same metal pinch system as Peters, took pictures, they are not as clear as Peters, do not know how to post pics in this message. The only reason column my not be locking is that the plastic handle has broken away from threaded stud and you may be able to put a locking nut or two nuts locked together, where plastic has broken, to the left side of the washer, then tighten them to hold column!

Don

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by fast_4...do not know how to post pics in this message....Don

Posting Photos Information here, 5th post down.

jbottini

Probllem solved. plastic bits appear to be a small cam device on backside of lever. Loosened, repositioned wheel assbly to uppermost position and retightened. Lever is inoperable, but I want wheel in uppermost position anyway. I'll find a replacement lever or a earlier knob type mechanism at my leisure. Thanks for all the input.