News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Production Figures - Leaf Spring

Started by bert, September 25, 2007, 13:57:47

Previous topic - Next topic

bert

Hello,

Living in Belgium makes it difficult to find info on Cobra, especially on production figures.
   Regarding Leaf Spring-cars, according to most of the sources I found on the internet, the number built shoud be 655.

If I take into consideration 75 (csx2000-csx2074) 260ci-cars, 517 (csx2075-csx2589 + csx2601 + csx2602) 289ci-cars and 62 (cob6001-cob6062) 'European' cars, I end up with only 654.

Furthermore there are 'odd' cases such as cs2131 (roadster) and csx2131 (coupe), and A-98, and HEM-6. Should any of them be considered being part of the 655 mentioned above ?

Can anyone shine a light on my confusion ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

nikbj68

Hi Bert. I think 654 is the officially accepted figure, which does include the Le Mans Coupé a98 + CS2131, but (I think) the CSX2131 Coupé & HEM-6 are counted separately as 'other period Cobras' as they weren`t completed by AC. Trevor Legate`s book "Cobra, The First 40 Years" has a full list of chassis numbers taken directly from AC`s production leger, or join the club for full access to the official registers of all AC marques.
   Regards, Nik.

bert

Hello again,

Thanks for the reply.
   Unfortunately it creates a new problem, because adding A-98 to my earlier count of 654 makes it 655.

Any idea where my 'original' count went wrong ?

nikbj68

I`m pretty sure that at least one chassis laid down in production was used to repair a damaged Cobra, but as I`m in work a.t.m, I can`t check 'the bible' !

bert

Still trying to understand Cobra-history : as A-98 and HEM-6 were both RHD, did they also have some COB-number ?

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by bert

Still trying to understand Cobra-history : as A-98 and HEM-6 were both RHD, did they also have some COB-number ?

Hi bert.
   Neither had a COB/COX/CSX number, a98 was taken from the production drawing and HEM-6 derives from the company 'High Efficiency Motors' to whom it was supplied as chassis & body by AC, but completed by them.
   Hope this helps [:)]

Nik - ever thought of being a Cobra regestrar ?  Im sure there are plenty of owners in need of refreshment .

AC Ace Bristol

Hi Bert

For full accurate information refer to the ACOC Cobra registrar.

Mr Robin Stainer.  full address on page four (4) of each issue of ACtion. (Current copy of official register is in the model section)

You could try direct email:

rstainer at radcothouse dot co dot uk

When communicating with robin please state your club membership number and your Chassis number.

Alternatively,  beg, borrow, steal or buy Trevor legates book.  or   even consult the Shelby register.

Christmas is comming, Why not ask  SANTA for a copy !

Seriously... Good Luck.....Enjoy !!

Keith

TLegate

Thanks for the unexpected plug Keith - and I do indeed have copies of my book here, ready to ship in time for the festive day. (that's another shameless plug by the way...) And as I feel the spirit of Chrissy upon us, I'll throw in FREE p&p - over £7, it's a heavy blighter. Signed or unsigned, with or without coffee cup stains om the cover....

But by all means seek out a copy of the SAAC World Registry while there is still time - it may a collectors item now that the lawyers for Mr.Shelby are stirring beyond the Shire, and the cold dead hand in search of a dollar threatens to end the era of SAAC....

bert

Please allow me to explain my fundamental problem :
   after buying 5 books on Cobra, i.e. Trevor's 'Cobra, The Real Thing' (ed. 1994), Rod Grainger's 'Cobra Super Profile', Michael Shoen's 'Cobra-Ferrari Wars' (ed. 1990), Rinsey Mills' 'Essential AC Cobra' (ed. 1997) and Dave Friedman's 'Shelby Cobra Original Archives' (ed.1994), running a cross check on Production Figures tends to become a hopeless journey... so I hope you'll excuse me for asking direct questions rather than buying another book that might confuse even more.

nikbj68

Hi Bert, More pluggery afoot!
    The answers can be found in Both Trevor Legate`s "Cobra, the First 40 Years"(2006) & Rinsey Mills "AC Cobra - The truth behind the Anglo-American legend"(2002)as they both have a full list of the production records from AC`s original ledger, as mentioned above, but don`t forget, there are more lovely pictures, many never previously published, and bang up to date information on AC, which would make it worth buying the "40 Years" book anyway.

TLegate

A98 was in reality a one-off Coupe but built on a Cobra chassis which did not receive a CSX number. The same applies to HEM-6 but both are pretty much accepted as being part of the Cobra production run. I guess that comes down to a matter of opinion, or as listed by the relevant registrars on either side of the Atlantic. Equally you can either count or discount the last five 'Paramount' chassis according to taste, or political persuasion.

I think that the question has been pretty much addressed as accurately as it can be by Nik. (At least he can be bothered to formulate a reply on this forum...as noted by Mr.Heritage)

nikbj68

Why do I get the feeling that when "Any volunteers, step 1 pace forward" was heard, I`m the only one who didn't step back?[:I]

Trevor, I`ll reply to anything.....I have my "Most Prolific Poster" status to maintain![:o)]