News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

BEX447

Started by pjbowman, March 17, 2017, 14:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

pjbowman

A friend of mine has just obtained BEX447, which currently has a 260 Ford engine, and supposedly has some racing history. Anyone have any background info/pictured I could pass along? Car was originally sold to Ron Leonard (!) according to the Register. Currently dark blue with red interior, originally white/black.
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

Peter

As BEX447 was once owned and raced by Ron Leonard, First Port of call must be to contact Ron who has a vast knowledge and contact list of
   Owners and Histories of various  Ace Bristol ( AC and V8 powered) through 1950's to date.
   Then hopefully you and the new custodian of BEX447 can continue this thread on the racing History of BEX447,  which in turn should produce
   data on other Aces raced in Period... [;)] Just look at my thread on Racing History of BEX333 ..[:)]

Ron created and circulated his own news letter.. " AC Exchange "  [:)] on a regular basis, which in itself often listed AC's by Chassis number
   as well as parts and major Technical Tips.

Please note.   Ron Sold all his spares  a few years ago to Jim Feldman.[;)]

Last but not least, I have fired a email to Nik Bagshaw  ( Thank you Nik) of the only Period racing picture I have of BEX447 (Piloted by Ron )[?].
   Requesting  he Post this Period Racing picture on this thread to start your quest on "The History of  BEX447 "..  [^]
   Long may the thread run and produce some real Gems of BEX447 & other AC's  especially racing throughout  the 1950's and 1960's. .[:p]

Keith..[:)]

nikbj68

Here is BEX 447 preparing for action:

pjbowman

Thanks Nick and Keith, I will pas this along!
Peter B.

pjbowman

Any idea what the front is wrapped up in? This looks like it might be speed trials or something. I'm trying to figure out what the 'silver' car is in the background, too - Ferrari???
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

Peter

The front of the Ace is taped over, standard practice in USA during  the 1950s . to protect paint work [?][?].

for a better example, visit Ace Over rider thread some 15 or so threads down and you  will see Barry Birds AE22 taped in a similar fashion..[;)]

Hopefully  Ron can confirm the picture I have supplied is definitely BEX447 and his racing number was 15DP.
   The ACOC Ace Bristol Register have very little detail on BEX447 please share all new material and  data on the forum and with Tim Isles the official Ace Bristol Registrar.

Cheers...

,Keith