News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

AC Sociable

Started by Grahame, December 10, 2016, 07:20:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahame

Does anyone have literature advertising the sociable as a cyclecar , I need to prove to our Australian authorities that they were marketed as a cyclecar, I have completely restored a 1914 sociable, but have hit a snag in the registration process Grahame

Jam2

If you don't have any luck with a member here,  May I suggest that you contact the VSCC in Chipping Norton,  they have an excellent library and one of their Library volunteers (Paul Spencer) has a Sociable,  I'm sure he would be pleased to help.

Old Crock

Here is a scan of one of the pages from an original Sociable brochure as issued by the company, then Auto Carriers (1911) Ltd. It uses the term 'cyclecar' in a number of places - the copy can be downloaded and should enlarge. To quote a few examples:

'The Pioneer of Cyclecars'

'unique...amongst cyclecars'

'the most simple cyclecar'

To obtain a hard copy suggest you contact the library of the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, who can produce excellent quality copies for a small fee and mail them (or Email them) to you (http://www.nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/About_the_Motoring_Reference_Library)

Old Crock

Also, see this advert below, with text printed alongside:

http://www.3wheelers.com/ad11.html

B.P.Bird

Grahame,
   Do tell us what the numpties have come up with to make your life difficult in getting the Sociable registered ? A more inoffensive vehicle would be hard to imagine.....

Old Crock

Below, another advert showing the Sociable advertised as a Cyclecar, this one from 1912.

The magazine 'The Light Car and Cyclecar' has many articles on the Sociable - the photo below from November 1915 showing a Sociable at an event organised by 'The Cyclecar Club' (which later became 'The Junior Car Club', of note to those interested in Brooklands).

Also, for further information, 'The Auto Motor Journal' of 30th November 1912, Page 1448, has a review of 'The Motor Cycle and Cycle Car Show at Olympia' (eight Sociables were displayed) - the vehicle was described as 'one of the most popular cycle cars on the road, both for pleasure and business'. I think the references here and above, submitted to the authorities as hard copies, must surely be sufficient for them....