News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

SPOTTED...

Started by Morgy, August 14, 2015, 22:51:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgy

Hi

I was just popping into chichester the other day when I spotted a lovely Red RHD AC 289 Slabside on the Birdham road roundabout..  I didn't get time to take note of the Reg.. Anyone know of an Owner living around the wittering West Sussex area?

Thanks

Mark

rstainer

The description 'slabside' (US origin) is normally used for kit cars and other replicas: see 'The word.....SLABSIDE' topic.

Nothing about a leaf spring Cobra is remotely slabside.

RS

Morgy

Sorry...

I thought slab side was just a term for the narrower cobra style...  If it was a Kit/replica it looked like a very good replica!!

I should have put 289 MK11 ;-)

TLegate

That would be a 289 MkI. :) I know, it's a minefield - you should try writing a book about the ruddy things! That way lies madness!

nikbj68

Yeah, just 289 would have done... but what if it had been a 260? Or was it a RuddSpeed Ace... hard to tell from a 260/289!
   Only joshing with you, Mark... I`ve not really heard the term 'slabside' used to denote kit/replicas specifically(as there are so few 260/289 replicas...) just anything that`s not a 427 shaped Cobra. Horrible term. Maybe we should call all 427`s 'Fatarses'... see how they like it?!
   In future, keep a camera or your phone at the ready at all times in case something interesting happens past, which getting nearer to revival time is likely to be often!

Morgy

Hi Nik

I couldn't get my phone out in time!!
   I have seen this car before and also a nice Ace (light green) I guess there local to me. with the revival very close i hope to see more.. I am very interested in meeting up with Local owners as i am seeking out an AC 289 of my own..

It is a mine field.. although the car i saw had side vents...
   This claims MK11 same as the car I saw but in blue
   https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20145/lot/135/

rstainer

The only terms needed are: leaf spring/coil spring, 260/289/427, worm & sector/rack & pinion.

Beyond this lies confusion, intellectual decline, increasing reliance on alcohol and madness.

RS

PS Bonhams journalistic "to 'MkII' specification" is correct (c/f 'Lord' Sewel and 'Lord Coke').

bobbylangley

Morgy, you are close to me as I am in Chi and have a MkIV. I've not seen either of those cars but occasionaly see Steve Gardner's red Ace around when he is weekending down this way. There is a 3000Me in LA as well.

aaron

I saw a red AC Ace along the Frimley Road in Camberley last week, wonder if its the same car ?

ANF289

quote:
Originally posted by rstainer

The description 'slabside' (US origin) is normally used for kit cars and other replicas: see 'The word.....SLABSIDE' topic.

Nothing about a leaf spring Cobra is remotely slabside.

RS

It appears that Shelby American would beg to differ.  From their on-line brochure at http://www.shelbyamerican.com/images/pdf/cobra-flyer-sm.pdf:

In 1962 Carroll Shelby created the most sought-after American muscle car in history, the Shelby Cobra. The 289 model of this snake went on to become the first American-made FIA world Champion in 1965 and later evolved into the ultimate expression of power and performance with the 427 SIC model in 1966. The 427 Street version (CSX6000-Series), the 289 FIA (CSX7000-Series) and the original "slabside" design from 1962 (CSX8000-Series), are still being produced today using improved materials and components.

rstainer

Art,

See Dan Case's learned 14th & 15th November 2013 posts to Forum topic 'The word....SLABSIDE.'

2012 et seq CSX8000 series cars are 'later cars' and have the same connection to Thames Ditton & AC as Kirkham and Superformance-made vehicles. Their manufacturers adopted the 'Slabside' descriptor thirty or so years after Cobra's origin.

RS

PS: The 427S/C was introduced in 1965, followed shortly by the 427 Street version (CSX3101 to 3360). Anything later is a continuation car or replica.

Morgy

Hi Bobby

I live in Earnley so i'm very close to Chi...

Morgy

Nice little AC Ace spotted on the way home from the Revival..

nikbj68

Was it in convoy with a Red Ace? It`s one of the Venezuela Aces rescued by the Isles` brothers.

Morgy

It was in convoy with a red Ace style car but i couldn't get close enough to get a good view... ;-)