News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Recent AC Registry? Attached photos of AC Shelby

Started by csx1013, April 17, 2015, 03:45:10

Previous topic - Next topic

csx1013

Hello. This is my first post although I have enjoyed this site for years.

I own a AC Shelby Cobra built in 2004-2005 by AC cars then shipped to Shelby in Vegas for completion. I am told only 13 of these cars were finished at AC in England then Mr Lubinsky closed up shop and went to Malta.  All 13 had hand pounded aluminum bodes by AC cars at Frimley as far as I know. I am wondering if there is any AC registry to document the cars made by ac? I have been following the first 13 cars that are mostly in the states and would like to bring the AC side of the cars more into the light. I for one am pretty proud of the AC heritage my car has from being built in England just as the original Cobras.

I know AC cars was just a shadow of its self when they built these cars, but still  AC and its employees built a hand full of georgus alloy body cobras and they were built the same way the original AC's were hammered out on AC bucks and tooling. Then sent to Shelby to be finished in the states while he was still at the Helm of the company in his living years.

Thanks for any information!

nikbj68

Hi Tim, glad you've decided to 'step out of the shadows' at last, it would be great to see a pic or 2 of your Cobra, is it FiA body shape?
   Your best bet for info would be Steve Gray at AC Heritage as I believe they had a fair involvement in some of these cars, but I'm sure someone else will be along with some more info shortly!
   A quick search revealed This thread about a proposed register.
   You might be beginning the process of becoming the Continuation AC/Shelby Registrar!

AC Ace Bristol

Tim.

Back in June 2013, after much deliberation the ACOC Council created a Register for ACs post 2001.
   Constant Wagner, volunteered to ACt as Official Registrar.[;)]

His full details are usually on page 4 of each issue of ACtion as Official Registrar.
   His details can also be found in ACtion under the "Club Officers Outside the UK" listing as he is the official ACOC representative for ACOC Belgium and Luxembourg..

Last but not least he has formed a team with Dany, Jurgen & Ursula to organise the ACOC 2015 International in Luxembourg.
   Again all details can be found on the Forum and in various issues of ACtion.[;)].

Cheers

Keith..[:)]

csx1013

Yes, the CSX1000 cars particularly the ones built in 2004-2005 era, I'll call them the original batch or run of cars. From my research it seems 13 cars were done in this original run of cars ordered by Carroll Shelby and launched with a press release and a special AC noted CSX1000 brochure. The cars were built starting at Frimley and as AC seemed to be shrinking moving to Normandy for the final few of the 13 cars built before AC closed shop and went to Malta. The cars were ordered and paid for and took years to actually get. These cars have a special AC Cobra badge on the nose and a different data tag under the hood than the other Shelby Continuation cars. The data tag on these 13 cars reads Shelby AC Cobra. They also have the standard Shelby data tag as well under the hood. One on each foot well. Both with the CSX # stamped on them. I am still trying to find out about the rest of the CSX 1000 cars but it seems some were done my north devon metal and brooklands but have not been able to get much clarity as of yet. I am pretty sure there were 23 total CSX1000 cars built.

I have been in touch with Steve Grey and he has been helping me to get information on the cars as well as Trevor Legate is helping with information as well. I have to say these two guys are first class! I will try to reach out to Constant Wagner and see if we can share some information to document the cars better. I have been able to collect photos of most of the first 13 CSX1000 cars.

Here is a link of a few of the photos I have gathered and posted on another site.  http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/132107-photos-known-csx-1000-cars.html

MkIV Lux

Hi Tim,
   Great to hear from you. I just sent you an e-mail on this subject so we can exchange on this. Understandably I'd rather not use the forum for this kind of sensitive data exchange as the forum is public.

Cheers

Constant

nikbj68

Here are some of Tim`s photos:

csx1013

Nik,

Thank you for posting the photos. Should should these be posted under "Recent AC's" ?

rstainer

Tim,

Please see Constant's 17 April post above.

AC closed its UK manufacturing operation in 2004/5 and ceased all manufacture in 2007/8. The ACOC does not have base data for any reliable post-2001 registers, and Alan Lubinsky will not be moved in his position that "True authentication of any product can only be decided by the original manufacturer" [13 April 2010]. It is not in the ACOC's interest to take issue with this statement.

Further, the ACOC's post 2001 'Recent ACs' registers are only for vehicles manufactured by AC. The Council defines a vehicle as 'a thing that works as a car. A vehicle is a body and chassis (or unitary construction body shell), suspension, wheels, engine, transmission, electrics etc.'

It is not clear that AC installed engine, transmission etc. The Manufacturer of Record could well be Shelby American, and you might want to take the matter up with the SAAC.

Please address all future correspondence to Constant, for the reason he has clearly stated.

RS