News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

not such a clear view from the windscreen!

Started by alexG, March 30, 2015, 22:45:43

Previous topic - Next topic

alexG

Its time to go cap in hand to the Ace fraternity to see if anyone can throw any light on the screen in my car (AE01). I guess, as Ace registrar, I should know, but I don't!
   Due to a recent crack in the glass, the screen needed to come off, and whilst I was pretty sure it was a unique size, it wasn't until Cris at Brasscraft admitted to being stumped that it clearly was.
   Sizewise its about 40mm wider, and 30mm shorter (in height) than a standard curved screen. It also has angled arms as in the photos, so it mounts with the arms at quite an angle going forward into the bodywork.
   Angle wise its virtually at 45deg. to horizontal.
   My assumption, and it is only that, is it was specially made for track racing in the cars Bob Staples days to give slightly wider coverage, less height and more angle to minimise drag...But it is only that, just an idea. Its also true that the majority of races were done with a minimal racing screen. So why would a more standard screen be necessary at all.....race regs in some cases?
   So, anyone out there with competition based cars seen or heard of anything similar please?

(As an aside the screen itself will have to be specially made so kind of glad its an insurance job!)

The photos show:
   O/s screen pillar in place with vertical over horn push
   Screen off car on floor
   Screen off car, upright
   The n/s and o/s underbody mounts showing the angle and different holes poss for different angulation

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

AC Ace Bristol

Alex

As AE01 is the first Ace and based so heavily on  Vin Davison's Tojeiro, could the windscreen have been lifted /copied from a 1953/54 Tojeiro..[?]

Then as the Ace rapidly  developed from prototype to standard production model the screen size and fixing was redesigned to what we accept today.

Maybe there are notes / drawings etc in the AC archives and ACOC Library ..[?]

Keith ..

alexG

Keith, thanks, yes its a thought but not sure anything so similar appeared on the Toj. The original press shots of the car show it looking pretty much like any normal Ace, but with a flat screen of course.
   How different are the underbody mounts in the last 2 pics to standard? You can see they are just forward of the upper door mounting point.