News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

first gear baulking

Started by nick Godridge, March 25, 2015, 02:33:26

Previous topic - Next topic

nick Godridge

WE all have to deal with this to some degree I suppose, but, lately it seems to be getting worse in my car, particularly when the car is hot.

My clutch has a hydraulic release bearing, which has done around 2500 miles. Gearbox also has a Hurst speed shift selector.

The performance of the clutch doesn't seem to be affected when the car is  moving, only when stationary, and first is required.

is another visit to a friendly spanner man required ???

Thx
   Nick G

westcott

Sounds like not fully disengaged clutch and may have different root causes:

-initial gap adjustment between hyd. bearing and clutch was too big
   -master cylinder/slave cylinder starts leaking, can happen by using theo wrong dot brake fluid
   -master cylinder borderline for release bearing travel (volume not big enough)
   -air trap in hydraulic system
   -pedal not pushed to complete stroke end

Sit the car on a downward sloping surface where it just starts moving after handbrake is released.
   Then put the car in 1st gear, open the handbrake, push the clutch pedal slowly until the car starts moving. Then check how much clutch pedal travel is left after the first move.

If you are at the end of pedal travel soon the pedal ratio or the slave diameter is borderline.

If the car is not moving or moving slower as released by brake the clutch is not fully disengaged and needs some tlc.

It has to move in the same way by pushing the clutch as by releasing the parking brake.

If not, the clutch is not fully disengaged.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

nick Godridge

Good stuff.
   Thankyou Westcott.

Nick G