News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Steering Column movement .

Started by Kiwi Cobra, September 19, 2014, 06:40:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi Cobra

Greetings all, it's some time since I contributed to this forum however would appreciate some advice please. I took my MK4 in for its 6 monthly 'Warrant of Fitness' inspection as it's called here in New Zealand. I have been failed due to the steering column/steering wheel having excessive vertical movement . On inspecting it when I arrived home, the steering shaft has excess movement where the shaft comes through the firewall . Before I dismantle it all can anyone tell me whether this is common and what I will both find or look for please?. Is there a spare part (bearing or bush) I can buy in advance to changeout on dismantling it?. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks, Steve.

French Frie

Hi Steve,

I did have the same problem ... Check my thread about it there : http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2808&SearchTerms=Bushing

I had to turn the bushing on a (kind of) lathe...

But it depends on how old is your car, as two systems (at least!) were used, as mentioned by Dpk_Cobra...

Kiwi Cobra

Hi French Frie, thanks very much for the comprehensive info. We didn't get the Granada in NZ  so I won't even bother speaking with FORD NZ spares. I'm an Engineer with a Machine Shop so manufacturing what's needed will not be a hassle however it's great to get some idea of what I'm up to.Appreciate your help, cheers Steve.

Kiwi Cobra

Ok, after enlisting the assistance of my wife to hold a ROE on the engine side bolts and somehow managing to get my generous frame into the pedal box area of the car, I withdrew the steering column leaving the wiring loom intact. I undid the U/J by the engine side firewall , prised it open enough to slide the spline out. What I found is the firewall support 'bearing' is nothing more than a 9/16 rubber grommet that has split and results in the vertical play in the steering shaft. What I did notice is the angled face of the grommet slipped into was not perpendicular to the shaft . My thinking is now that I will bore the plate out slightly to accept a 9/16 Teflon lined spherical bushing that supports the shaft but will provide some self alignment. As for retaining it, the simplest way may be to spot a MIG or TIG weld on each side to retain it (cooling it quickly to save the Teflon) otherwise thin shaft collars. What I found is best described as 'bloody awful' engineering, it can only be improved. Cheers Steve

Rob.Hendriks

Could the proposed collar not be slipped on and held in place with a grub screw, instead of tack welded

Kiwi Cobra

The spherical bush will need to pass through the angled panel steel housing after it's bored out. I might look at making thin shaft collars for each side to hold it from moving. Depends on what bush I can find locally. Any tacks would be unseen and discrete.

westcott

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

Kiwi Cobra

No, that's a Rover type column I believe Westcott where mines a a Ford one. My one is as per the bottom of French Fries's one here : http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2808&SearchTerms=Bushing

I wish I could work out how to post some photos of mine which I have repaired and refitted. Can anyone explain how to post photos please?.

westcott

Ford Granada/Sierra column spindles are triangled till the end and a triangular, not splined, part is clamped to the end.

I bet a million that a pice of Rover splined round shaft is welded into the Ford spindle and the Rover/MG bushing will fit... as long as the splined round massive shaft is sitting in the bushing while turning.

In Olivier's pictures the round shaft is shiny directly after the spline.

If this is the area where the spindle sits and turns in the bushing the SD1 part could probably fit.

The metal bracket in the foot well looks the same as mine with the SD1 steering.

I didn'd see or realized the welded in round pice of spindle in the past pictures.

Again, if this is the way Autokraft did it in all cars with Ford steering column the MG/Rover bushing will fit.

I will measure the bushing inner diameter this evening and come back with input.

French Frie

I second you on that, Uwe... the round splined part is clearly welded to the triangular Ford column  !

westcott

Sorry for the delay, back with measurements.

The original rubber bushing has 14.4mm inner diameter and 23mm diameter seat in the metall bracket

The "tuning" part made from PU has 13.8mm inner diameter and 22mm diameter seat in the metal bracket.

Both fit into my bracket and on my spindle without any problem.

Hope this helps a bit,

Uwe

nikbj68

Below are photos & text posted for Kiwi Cobra:

"I started by boring a 30mm hole into the bore that the factory installed 9/16" electrical bulkhead grommet fitted into. I then purchased a 9/16" bore plain spherical bush that is double rubber sealed (2RS)

I machined a small top hat shaped housing with a lip to locate the housing from the steering wheel side. I then bead blasted the factory panel steel carrier bracket, inserted my new bearing housing and Ezi Flowed(Silver Soldered) it into place then cleaned the panel steel again and painted it black.

I then fitted the spherical bush (loctited in) and bolted the bracket back into place in the car. I managed to extract the steering column without removing it from the car and kept the wiring looms attached. Refitting it was a case of lining up the front wheels to be straight ahead and rotating the steering wheel to have the spokes in the right location, then entering the splined shaft into the bush while having some assistance to plug the shaft back into the splined universal joint before bolting it tight.

The benefit of the spherical bush is that it provides solid support but also self alignment if the steering column is tilted. The repair performs very well and was inexpensive , Cheers,Steve.
"

westcott

Looks like made for racing, well done !

French Frie

much more engineered than my solution [:o)] ! congrats...

Kiwi Cobra

Thanks French Frie, we all work with what we have and I'm fortunate to have access to a lathe etc. I just thought it might help someone else with an alternative by sharing what I did, that's the beauty of this great forum, sharing solutions. Cheers Steve