News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Postwar DHC for sale.

Started by 3.5 Pints at the Bar, November 11, 2013, 16:56:01

Previous topic - Next topic

3.5 Pints at the Bar

It's not every day a 2 Litre DHC comes up for sale, and restored too. It's in the Czech Republic and is right-hand drive:

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/car-advert/ac/2-litre/1949/213721/

I can't identify it to comfirm if it's an original drophead or not.

PPJ834

I thought this a good looking car, though the price a little steep. Its Chassis number L1093 relates to a 2litre saloon. The engine number 1092 is correct for that saloon. Still looks good, though the value not there.

3.5 Pints at the Bar

Are you sure about that chassis number? EL1093 came up on ebay (UK) last year dismantled for restoration and engineless. I agree, the drophead looks good!

PPJ834

I emailed them and they gave those details, also more photo's showing the stripped body. So could well be the one on Ebay last year. There's another saloon/drophead coming up on H&H's December auction. Be interesting to see what that makes!!!

3.5 Pints at the Bar

Thanks for that info'. I recall now that it came with a bare engine block (last year), so the numbers would tally. Thanks for the tip-off for the H and H auction for another beheaded saloon:

http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auctions/04-12-2013-ChateauImpney-1346/1951AC2-LitreDropheadCoupe-37446.aspx

I hope that they find good homes.

PPJ834

I think the H&H saloon is from Drax in east Yorkshire. The guy I bought my saloon from had a number of saloons, including one he'd cut the roof off. It had no hood or frame and I seem to remember a non AC engine. Do you think extra strengthening would be needed to compensate for the loss of the roof?

ACOCArch

quote:
[ Do you think extra strengthening would be needed to compensate for the loss of the roof?

I looked very closely at L990 about 20 years ago - an original factory drop-head Two-Litre. My recollection is that the chassis was strengthened by boxing in the side members behind the cruciform. Would that make sense?

My favourite Two-Litre! The car needed much work at that time and sadly my head ruled my heart!!!!

3.5 Pints at the Bar

Stiffening (as distinct from strengthening) might benefit a drophead, so that the tops of the A posts don't move around relative to the doors. But maybe the AC has enough bending stiffness? The chassis on a 2 Litre is already boxed behind the crusiform. If anyone wants to offer me a ride in their 2 Litre DHC, I'll accept in the name of scientific analysis :)