News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Propeller shaft

Started by French Frie, November 09, 2013, 21:44:17

Previous topic - Next topic

French Frie

Red Hair (AK1113) passed the french MOT this morning, without any fault and 0.01% of Co gaz emission... Not that bad for a 27 year old lady !
   But I noticed that the bolts that maintain propreller shaft and diff together are loose, causing harsh behaviour in transmission... Fortunately, as they are nylstop nuts, they didn't go away ! But I prefer to replace the bolts & nuts rather than just tight them...

Could someone tell what size are they, what tensile should they be, and what is the torque to be applied to them ?

Thanks !

Olivier

French Frie

I re tightened the nuts yesterday... Not a very easy job, due to the poor accesibility ! Bolts and nuts are 14mm  (don't seem to be imperial size) ... I do not know if it will last, but no more clong in the trans !

jbottini

FF, did ou use a locking liquid? Jim

French Frie

no, 'cause they are nylstop nuts ... and I'll change them anyway !

westcott

These nuts are normally complete metal lock nuts without any poly insert, the same kind as used in the XJ jags, the nuts are "compressed" a bit on two sides of the hex.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

French Frie

thanks Uwe... on the SNG Barratt website, it seems to be Nyloc nuts that are referenced as well !

http://www.sngbarratt.com/RelatedItemDetails.aspx?id=613476cc-c173-4543-9663-7c66a5070c3f

do you have a link for "compressed" nut ?

jbottini

FF, perhaps he means "lock washer and nuts"

Flyinghorse

This is likely whats meant:

http://www.fastenright.com/all-metal-locknuts/aerotight-nuts.html

There are a number of ways of doing this . FF did your nylocs have spring washers as well?

I don't believe you are meant to reuse a nyloc

Graham

AC Ace Bristol

Graham .

Spot on...... Reference NyLocks, Use Once Only.. never re-use once removed discard and fit new units..  Spring washers definitely not required..[;)]
   Before fitting new nylocks , best check that the  shoulder of the bolts are not worn/grooved and the holes in the UJ flanges are not oval or enlarged.
   If  so redrill oversize and fit larger dia bolts. making sure they do not foul throughout full movement of suspension..[;)].

Keith..[:)]

westcott

My Jag nuts and bolts for prop shaft mounting have fine pitch thread.

For the "metal" lock nuts i found this picture for reference only, 2 of the 6 flanges if the hex are compressed and the nut itself is slightly oval and clamps by itself.

http://www.stevens-shop.de/shop/MG-B/Kardanwelle/8a-selbstsichernde-MUTTER-mit-Metallring::1095.html
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!