News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Montlhéry 6

Started by Jam2, May 16, 2013, 07:26:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Jam2

Great photo of Bruce at Montlhéry on the Facebook thread, thank you.
   Other than the car used by the Bruce's at Montlhéry, were any more built to that design of body or was it unique?

ACOCArch

quote:
Other than the car used by the Bruce's at Montlhéry, were any more built to that design of body or was it unique?

In 1927 AC Cars Ltd marketed the Royal AC 16-66 Montlhéry Sports at £630. Numbers manufactured are not known.

Old Crock

The 6-cyl. Montlhéry model, originally called 'six-cylinder sports', was first seen in early 1925. The motor magazines tested it, one saying of the top gear from 'six to eighty-four miles per hour with equal smoothness'. I have a photo of Joyce testing the car, without wings, at Brooklands in 1925 where he achieved 86.54 mph.

In 1926 the factory were now calling it the Montlhéry Sports (at this stage still saying the engine was rated as 16/40hp). Separate factory photos, from the time, show the ash frame, the individual aluminium body panels, and the finished car. AC acknowledged during 1926 that 66 horsepower was actually being produced, as shown in the 1927 sales catalogue.

I have a photo of Mildred Bruce in the factory's Montlhéry car taken in 1928 at Brooklands. After this, I believe the body from this same car was fitted to PK6322 - this being the factory entrant for events, like the Motor Cycling Club's high-speed trial at Brooklands and was driven in the Junior Car Club's half-day trial by A J Mollart (Engineering/Works Manager at Thames Ditton) in early 1929, just before the company liquidation.

Ray Morley, stalwart of the ACOC, who many of us remember with affection, then purchased various major units from the receiver. He mounted the Bruce's Montlhéry body onto a standard chassis and drove successfully in trials and rallies. This is the vehicle, in this form, that still survives.

There were other Montlhéry sold, though I don't know how many, nor the numbers produced, but maybe the current owner could elaborate. I have an advert from 1928 by Alfa-Romeo British Sales Ltd of Baker Street, London offering an AC Montlhéry, delivered September 1926, stating 'fast, three carburettors, 75mph, and excellent condition', no doubt a part-ex at the time for an Alfa.

Jam2

How interesting,  so the model was already called the 'Monthlery Sports' before the Bruce's record breaking run (in late 1927?).  I'd just assumed that the name came after that.

Old Crock

quote:
Originally posted by Jam2

....so the model was already called the 'Monthlery Sports' before the Bruce's record breaking run (in late 1927?)....

Yes, I suppose to commemorate, and capitalise on, Gillett's remarkable record run at Montlhéry in 1925