News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

AC oil can

Started by Old Crock, April 07, 2013, 21:31:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crock

I have an oil can, on the top is an early AC logo. A plate reads 'AC recommend Duckhams New Process Oil No.4 for Engines'. I believe this to be from the early 1920's. The only other oil can I've seen like this said 'Cubitt' rather than AC. (Cubitt cars were built 1919-25 and in the early 20's S. F. Edge was not only Governing Director of AC Cars but was also Managing Director of William Cubitt & Company).

I assume that this oil can was a part of the early 'tool kit' supplied with AC's, but can anyone tell me:

(a)were they supplied with 4 or/and 6 cylinders

(b)were they ever mounted on the bulkhead of the early cars, in a special holder?

The reason for the second question was seeing David Payne's 1924 Six, at the Thames Ditton gathering, with the oil can in a tailored holder, photo below.

Someone with a vintage model may know the answers, which would be gratefully received....

David's very nice 1924 AC Six

AC-Crankcase

The spares list for the four cylinder cars lists an oil can as part 0655. I assume this was supplied with each car along with a fairly extensive tool kit. A replacement would cost the princely sum of two shillings and three pence.

The whole tool kit would have been kept in the box under the dickey seat.

Old Crock

The AC sales brochure for 1928 says, under section 'Normal Equipment for Six Cylinder Cars', that there's an 'oil-can clipped alongside engine on off-side', so I thought I was on to something....then realised the 'oil can' was the type below! (To have an accessible quart can of oil aboard).

Thanks for the info from the 4-cylinder spares list. Was there a picture by any chance? As the 'oil can' means two different things here, can you please confirm that part no 0655, at 2s. 3d., is the type in the first posting. Also, could you tell me the date of the spares list? Many thanks for the help!

AC-Crankcase

The spares list I quoted does not have a date on it but is for the cars with the early type Anzani engine with the small block and intergral exhaust manifold. I would guess very early 20s to 1923 or 24?

The can is illustrated and is of the type shown in your initial picture and not the Castrol can. (I have tried to attach a scan of the page but my computer refuses to cooperate!?!)

A later spares list for the cars with the larger block Anzani engine also shows part 0655 but at the inflated price of half a crown!

Old Crock

Many thanks for the information. I've sent an Email - maybe the scan is easier being sent direct to me, rather than here? I believe a 6-cylinder spares list, from the vintage period, is held by another member to whom I've sent an Email also. Thanks again!

Old Crock

Two pics below show the pages from the 4-cyl. parts list (kindly supplied by AC-Crankcase). The oil-can is part number 0655, and clearly the same as shown in the first posting above. Notice the tools contain the usual spanners, screwdrivers, and not forgetting the final recourse, when all else fails, the hammer!

I've been told the air-pump had the AC logo on it also. I wonder, did the individual spanners and other tools?

The later parts list, with much improved illustrations, shows the tailored 'satchel' to hold the tools in the 'receptacle' (AC terminology at the time).

Another member sent me photos of his oil can, as mounted on his vintage 6-cylinder. It's neatly fitted between the crankcase and the chassis, on the metal filler panel (not all 6-cylinders have this). There is a special holder for the oil-can; it's very basic, but would seem to be an original fitting.

Another member is sending me information from the 6-cyl parts list where the oil-can is apparently shown also.