News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

AC Cobra Mk III for sale

Started by Spantik, November 16, 2012, 21:48:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Spantik

Landmark Cars & Co is selling a silver AC Cobra Mk III built in the Thames Ditton factory in 1966. Apparently one of the 27 manufactured.
   Details under: http://www.classicdriver.com/de/find/4100_results.asp?lCarID=1864653

Mark IV

Did AC supply the "289 sports" with agenerator and cable drive tach?
   I truly don't know as I have never seen a 289 sports close up. Also the engine color looks incorrect for a post 1965 289...did Brian screw up the shade?

Spantik

BBK

Very nice!  A very rare car.  Would it be fair to say that the MK IV produced by AC/Autokraft was the spiritual successor to the 289 Sports?

rstainer

This is COB 6105, an AC 289 Sports rebodied in 1989 in Abgliss style. If it's a Mark anything, it's a Mark II; see, for example, Rinsey Mills' 'AC Cobra'.

TLegate

Sold at the Bonham auction at the Revival in September for £249,020. Wonder what the asking price is now?

rstainer

£385,000 - optimistic for this particular car.

RS

TLegate

Now that's what I call inflation!!

Spantik

Yep, so wait a couple of months and it will go off for £500,000

aaron

£249,00 - £385,00 , that is one big mark up !

TLegate

But as we all know, there's one born every minute and you can reply on the motor trade to find them

302EFI

An asking price of GBP 385.000 may be a little high for this particular car, but the price of some GBP 250.000 at which it reportedly sold two months ago does not seem unreasonable to me. I think for someone who prefers a 'Cobra' with rather unobtrusive, elegant looks a 289 Sports is an alternative to a 427 Street. There was another 289 Sports offered by Hexagon Classics last year, if I remember correctly the asking price was GBP 385.000 as well. Does anybody know at what price that car was actually sold?

TLegate

I know where it went, but didn't ask the owner what he paid! I don't think Hexagon do discounts. That was a very nice example (photos in my next book..... :)

SB7015

Was it not Radio 2 presenter Chris Evans who had the winning bid for this car at the Bonhams auction at the Goodwood Revival?

Malcolm

TLegate

Purchased with the sole intention of making a profit - which is why the real enthusiasts are priced out of the market.