News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

2013 International in the USA

Started by rstainer, August 04, 2012, 12:29:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus Meyjes

Following are hotel suggestions based on the above mentioned tour suggestions as I found online:

August 19th: http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=1&pn=1&ps=1&tab=description&destinationId=1473225&searchDestination=Stockton&hotelId=307461&arrivalDate=08-19-13&departureDate=08-20-13&rooms
  • .numberOfAdults=2&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

August 20st and 21st:http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?tab=description&hotelId=123827&arrivalDate=08-20-13&departureDate=08-22-13&rooms
  • .numberOfAdults=2&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

August 22nd and 23 rd: http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=21&pn=1&ps=21&tab=description&destinationId=1409892&searchDestination=Calistoga&hotelId=276422&arrivalDate=08-22-13&departureDate=08-23-13&rooms
  • .numberOfAdults=2&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

Prices range from $99 to $134 per night.

MkIV Lux

quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes
   Please keep suggestions, questions and announcements of interest to partake coming to my email inbox!

Meyjes@chartermi.net

Hi Gus,
   Tried a couple of times yesterday to push something into your mailbox.
   My systems keeps reporting non-delivery.

Please check
   Thanks
   Constant

shep

Wow Gus, you have been busy! I like all I see, and will doubtless be speaking to various "AC Tourists" to make sure we are all pulling together. The Council Meeting in London is this Thursday 25th Oct, and it will certainly be discussed. Any information on or off the record about whole cost and timescale to ship to and from LA would be useful for budgeting. You are doing a great job, and I can't wait to see the project develop. Thanks from this end, Andy.

Gus Meyjes

Many thanks go out to our newest ACOC member, Robin Grove. She recently signed on and has been in touch with Tony Bancroft about her Ace Bristol.

Robin was introduced to me by Keith Lessiter and she has done a fabulous job making sense of the quotes I have been soliciting and receiving over the past several months.

Please see her email to me laying it all out below. In all of my conversations with people that have had personal experience with shipping their cars to and from Europe, I can attest that these estimates are about as close as can be. Please note that these quotes are per car.

This should give everyone a very good idea on the overall expense. Next on my list now is to see about sponsorship. I'm hoping to attract some sponsors that can help offset some of these expenses. Hagerty insurance comes to mind, as I have spoken with them and they appear interested in being part of the International and they could help offset insurance cost.

As of today I have 32 parties interested in the USA international!!

Hi Gus,

I have gone over the numbers,  Please find the updated quotation:

Guidelines-  Cars Valued at  $75,000- $200,000-  should consider the 4 pack
                                                           $201,000-$350,000- should consider the 2 pack
                                                            Over $350,000.00    should consider Air Freight
   **These are guidelines only. Final decision per the discretion of the owner.
   **Insurance Round Trip-
                   #1)         Marine Transit Insurance "All Risks" subject to a 1000bp excess/deductible per transit = 1% of the insured value
                   #2)         Marine Transit Insurance "Total Loss" only for roundtrip cover no excess/deductible   = .5% of the insured value.
   *** Personal effects stowed into the car can only be insured on a "Total Loss" basis and only on the basis the car is los in transit- a separate value declaration will be required.
   *** Please also note, that shipping personal effects should be kept to a minimum, no alcohol or hazardous items will be allowed. Packing items will need to be reviewed prior to shipping.

Below Calculations for transport based on the following vehicle size-
   Length-3848mm/151.5"   x Width- 1511mm/59.5" x Height 1245mm 49"   - Wheelbase 2286mm/90"   GW 885kg/1950 #= 1 position lower deck ** subject to airline acceptance.

Cars UK/Loa- Delivered to Cars UK whse  or designated airline-  Collection, if requested would be additional and subject to the collection address.

Import                                                      $2550.00   based on a 2 pack**
                                                                       $2000.00   based on a 4 pack**
   Airfreight                                                $7700.00   1 position lower deck
                                                                       $10,200.    2 position lower deck
   **Rates include-export loading blocking and bracing, export customs clearance, airline security clearance, airline handling & R/A fee.
        US customs Clearance, port fees, unloading of container, port fees, temporary import customs clearance.
   **For sea containers, customs exams, IF required, not included- Please consider $50.00-$200.00 estimated, and will be charged, only if required by us customs.

Export
   Ocean freight                                         $2650.00   based on a 2 pack**
                                                                       $2050.00   based on a 4 pack **
   Airfreight                                                $9500.00
   **Rates include-export loading blocking and bracing, export customs clearance, airline security clearance, airline handling & R/A fee.
        UK customs Clearance, port fees, unloading of container, Airline security fees and customs clearance for re-entry into the UK.

**odd numbers of cars- How will the ship back and what is the time frame for return.
   **Line/ Happag Lloyd/Maersk-  t/t to the US 28 days/ return 34 days.     Loading /unloading customs clearance on both sides 1-2 weeks.  Airfreight 3-4 days.

I've been checking on some hotels, and I think for $300.00 per day, we will be set for hotels + one meal per day.  Leaving some budget for the end  send off  dinner.
   I was also wondering if a "support mechanic" along for the road would be a good idea.  I'm sure that if we can sponsor the hotels,  it could be a thought.

Please let me know what  you think, and when you have a moment to chat.

The rates above, should remain pretty close, but there could be some changes by next year.

Talk to you soon,

Robin

shep

Thanks Robin, I have read your post  above, and if I were to choose my Mk IV Cobra, can you help me calculate the bottom line cost? value of car is approx $150k so I assume the 4 pack container. Do I understand that makes roughly $2000 each way? Then insurance at 0.5% of $150k = $750 for the basic total loss, or 1% = $1500 for All Risks with a $1000 excess. Also allow, say $200 worst case for Customs. I also assume we Foreigners will require Motor Insurance whilst in the USA. Perhaps $300? For the main event 7 Hotel nights at $300 a couple = $2100, and a further say 7 nights in motels when going off piste? another $1500. Fuel at 12 gallons per day at $4.00 = $700, and with food and spending money another $1400. 2x Airline tickets $2000. So for a budget, approx $13000. Does that sound about right for the 2 of us? Andy.

Gus Meyjes

Shep,

I am receiving additional information at this time. I have contacted various parties for sponsorship. Hagerty issued an insurance quote, which I intend to post soon after I speak with their rep for clarification on a couple of matters. I also am working on still getting better pricing on shipping. It may actually get to as low as $2500 per car, round trip if we ship 4 per container and there is a discount for higher quantities in case we get 24 cars minimum. At that point the quote maybe reduced by another several hundred dollars, I'm told. I am awaiting a final detailed quote right now.
   I'm going out on a limb here and state that at 4 cars per container the overall cost, including insurance for transport and road going in the USA would be around $4500-$5000. This is A LOT BETTER than reported before. Any bit of sponsorship can further help offset expenses. I would encourage any owner with an interest in participating to assist in obtaining sponsorship. I'm hoping to attract media (TV) attention as well and I have a request into Jay Leno to see if he would receive the participants and their vehicles at his facility in Los Angeles as well...

Stay tuned for more information!!

Gus

MkIV Lux

sounds very encouraging Gus..
   good work

AC Ace Bristol

Gus

Further to our series of email re: potential sponsors, I take this opportunity to thank you for your time and effort, especially in trying to reduce overall costs to / for all the interested  ACOC members on this side of the pond.  Much appreciated.[;)].

Wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

Look forward to meeting you and our USA/Canadian ACOC Members at The International (USA) in August 2013.

Keith..[:)]

Gus Meyjes

Thanks Keith!

More news soon to follow!

Gus

Gus Meyjes

Please stay tuned closely in the next few weeks.

This is make or break time. I'm awaiting the Official final quote from CFR.  Robin Grove, who works with CARS UK will see if she can match this quote. I have 3 sponsors interested in participating and I have a number of emails out asking for sponsorship that have not been returned yet. I also wrote Octane and Classic and Sports Car as well as Simon Taylor, who kindly offered his help in generating interest from CS&C. I asked my marketing company to put a digital design together for Roundels/ meatballs to show the names of the sponsors as well as AC owners club International, California, USA, 2013 to be put on all participating cars. I don't want to disclose names of sponsors without a firm agreement, but it looks very promising. I do not expect sizable amounts, but every little thing helps.

As soon as my next update in the February ACtion will be published, I need a tally of serious contenders and I will set up an account under a NON-Profit for deposits to be made. D-day will show who's going or not.... At that point I will recruit the help from the California clan for hotel bookings and I will move forward with putting road books together.

Owners need to, at that point contact each other and connect with the shipper in order to get their shipments set up and coordinated. (4 per container means you need to all be there... )

Jim Feldman will have a 428 on the field at Pebble Beach, I believe.

I'm still hoping and looking for more stateside participants. Where are you guys?

I looked at the seasonal weather averages for the countryside we will be touring. It is absolutely fabulous. Virtually no chance of rain, average daytime temperatures ranging in the mid sixties to mid seventies in Monterey, 90 in wine country, 75 at Lake Tahoe and 82 in Calistoga... Sure, it could be cooler or hotter and it could rain.... not very likely though!

Happy motoring in sunny California! Bring your sunscreen...

That's it for now. Please, contact potential sponsors or pass them along to me...

Gus

Gus Meyjes

Get a little flavor by checking out photos of the California Mille

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/01/02/starting-2013-right-new-years-anti-football-run/

Gus

Gus Meyjes

I just hung up the phone with the Hagerty rep with regards to an insurance quote on the tour. I am awaiting the final quote from the shipper and I just reminded him kindly to get on it. There will be a quote on insurance from them as well.

I have a call coming up with Hagerty on sponsorship coming Tuesday. BRM (watch company) and Suixtil (vintage style apparel) are interested in sponsoring, but none of these three are willing to throw money at the event. It will be in the form of goodies, gadgets and gear.

BRM is willing to design a special edition commemorative watch so long we have 10 takers minimum. They will offer this at a large discount as part of their "sponsorship". If one has had any interest in buying one of these high end watches, this would be an opportunity to pick a unique one up at a large discount. Other small items can be done as well, such as cufflinks.
   http://www.brm-manufacture.com/index.html

Suixtil would offer their garments at a large discount with a commemorative embroidery.

http://www.suixtil.com/

Personally I'm a fan of these brands. High quality and in tune with the historic racing... Which is why I thought of them having an interest in sponsoring possibly.

I have another 4-5 emails out to companies to ask for sponsorship. I'm afraid money will be difficult to get in order to support the event. But I'll keep trying.

I did spend a good 6 hours last sunday going over the road book and figuring how to best work the logistics and seeing about availability for lodging. I'd like to make sure that we do not re-locate every night. Less hassle and less carrying suit cases. Plus, if someone decides they like to not drive that day, but go visit a winery for example, this would facilitate that.

At this time it looks like we'll be covering about 1900 miles in 9 or 10 days. That is including the drive from LA to Monterey and back. I will post detailed road book soon. After Monterey the North central California part of the trip will be roughly 1000 Miles.

From all of your feedback it appeared most, if not all of you were keen on being around Monterey for a couple days. If that is not the case, it would cut down considerably on miles and also some on cost, as hotels are far and few in between during that week and prices are up.

Shep's estimate sounds very reasonable for Hotel costs per diem, even including meals. Good lodging can be found anywhere from $115-200 per night, depending on location and date. From all of you I understood you're not looking for high end resorts in the $400-500 range...

That's it for now. More to follow.

Gus

Gus Meyjes

I am very happy to announce that at this time I have a firm quote that appears to be the best possible for Shipping from the UK (Thamesport) to LA. Cars will be shipped by CFR Rinkens with their special container racking system as 4 cars per container. Warehousing, loading, unloading and warehousing in LA as well as the round trip shipping will be handled by CFR at a price of $2500 roundtrip. Robin Grove with LOA brokering will act as the agent and customs broker.

Customs fee will be $150, Bond will be $75 and additional fees may apply if there will be inspections, although it is expected to be unlikely.

Insurance costs are .0083% per $1000 by the shipper and Hagerty quoted me as well.

Hagerty's quotes are approximately as follows for transport insurance.

Car value:

$70.000; $500 deductible:  $750   cost
   $150.000;   $500 deductible:    $1400 cost
   $200.000;   $750 deductible;    $1870 cost
   $500.000;   $1000 deductible:   $3350 cost

This is all risk coverage.

For on the road insurance in the USA they quoted roughly $1600 for a $500.000 car which should cover roughly 2500 miles.

There will be a 10% discount applied in case there are more than 10 cars.

So there you have it! One should be able to approximate on an individual basis what the expense for this adventure would be.
   I will tell you it has been quite a frustrating experience trying to get to these numbers!

Next is to get a firm tally of who still wants to go and to take deposits to that extent so that I can block rooms in the hotels. Also, I'd like to hear from you all how important the Pebble Beach events are as part of this trip. Being there for the weekend ads considerably to the cost as well as hotel and driving logistics are considerably more complex. But certainly doable.

I have a list of people who gave me their initial pledge of interest. I will email you all. If you're jumping in at this time, please email me ASAP at Meyjes@chartermi.net

Please also keep track of the Forum for updates. I will forward contact information for shipping on the forum.

Regarding insurance, please contact rick@hagerty.com personally. Let him know you are contacting him with regards to the ACOC tour organized by me. Be aware that in order to establish insurance on your vehicle for this trip it will take some time, so do not procrastinate.

Lastly I want to mention that obtaining sponsorship has been difficult. Hagerty has been kind to offer a support truck, which should make dragging luggage around a lot less hassle. BRM watch company will produce a commemorative watch at 50% of retail in case there are a minimum of 10 orders, they will also throw in some trinkets. And Suixtil classic racing wear will produce a commemorative garment for the event at a substantial discount.
   Nobody wants to throw money at the event. Many more requests have been sent out to no avail.
   If you are a mover and shaker in your place of employment, I ask you see if you can have your company part with some cash!

That is it for this ACtion update. Please keep track on the Forum.

Cheers, Gus

MkIV Lux

good shot Gus!! Many thanks for your efforts. We appreciate that.
   So this sums up to some 12.000 $ for 14 nights for a couple in a Mk IV Cobra, taking Andy's earlyer estimations on accommodation and other spendings. We from the Continent would have to add another 1.200 $ or so for bringing the car to Thamesport  and back to home.
   Good idea to have incorporated the support truck.

Will discuss with my co-pilot and my banker [;)]
   Cheers
   Constant

AC Ace Bristol

Gus..

Thank you for pursuing our goal of a ACOC National on your side of the Pond  for 2013 and obtaining best possible shipping costs and insurance.

Must sit down and carefully  cost the event, the shipping cost is now more palatable, all risk insurance... yeh..

Road insurance of $1600 / £1000 for 15 days on USA roads is bloody steep,  I use BEX333 some 5000 miles per year with 4 drivers on policy and a agreed value of  £175K ( $280K ) and only £274 for 12 months inc legal fees...[:0]..[V]..

Why is road insurance in USA so high[?] ..surely you don't pay such crazy rates..[?] at these rates I calculate you would be paying $27000 per year..  No Way !!

Seriously, studying overall costs. Let you know very soon.

Thank you once again for all your time and effort, appreciated by us all.

Keith...[;)]..[:)]