News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

AK 1073

Started by Hobo, July 31, 2012, 10:50:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobo

Not yet, sitting relaxed at the sunny North Sea coast.... having BBQ today. Next week I will know more.

Hobo

Decission made.
   Finally AK 1073 found a new home.
   Many thanks to all giving me valuable information and advise.
   http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii485/df920bluebird/?action=view¤t=IMG_3887.jpg

I had the chance to talk to M. Starke who has been the dealer for Autokraft in Germany in the 80th/90th.
   He provided me with a lot of information about the car.
   He is willing to collect all documents during the weekend and I will pick them up next week including the original invoice as well as the original specification, photos etc, etc.
   Meanwhile I also have the full historie of pre-ownership - in total 3 (without me), last owner kept the car for 12 years.
   What I can report about the car is the following:
   * the car have been ordered and build exactly like it is today - with exeception of engine, gearbox, sidepipes and some modification in the engine compartment (to enable the 460 SVO to be build in)
   * the car was completed in 1987, handed over by AK and driven by M. Starke personnally to Germany and handed over to the first owner.
   *the first owner tested the car one day only and ordered the 460 SVO incl. sidepipes. This modification took place in 1987 - since these days the car has been not modfied any more.
   * it seems to be that all other cars M. Starke (5-6 cars) ordered in this period have been build by Autocraft to the same specification. From the letters sent by Brian Angliss it can be seen that he mentioned it "lightweight" even the production-no starts with "AK" only - not "AKL" .
   There has been a yellow car with double black stripes which is mentioned as "reference car" for these 5-6 cars.(when I will pick up my documents I will try to find out which production-no this yellow car had).
   * even new, some of these car have been repainted by AK to get a colour more favorable to the German market.
   So far the information.

By the way, I use to drive Cobra-Replicas - all with sidepipes, my 515 hp monster on long distance (2h or more) I drive with noise cancelling headphones and I'm not a softy - however this car is incredible loud. The car will delivered next week to a shop to get the sidepipes disambled - I will go for a underfloor exhaust system - anything else makes no sense.
   I want to live in peace - especially with the police officers.

Last not least: To those interested in market value: I acquired the car in the low 80th (very low, €) .
   With the car came: second set of wheels (6-pin - magnesium), additional set of tires, spare windshield, Tonneau cover, soft top, new starter, generator, battery.

nikbj68

Conratulations Martin!!!!

An interesting Cobra, which I trust will bring you miles and miles of joy!

REV

Looks a great car!

Incidentally I had side pipes on my last car and agree with your statement entirely. I used to feel like i'd been boxed around the ears by the time I got anywhere.... Looked great though!

:-)

Hobo

@ nikbj68:
   oh computer!! will I ever learn it in my life?
   Tell me - step by step for a stupid person: How to create from the copied link of a photo a real photo - to be seen in this forum????????????????????
   (This is now my first priority for communication in this forum ;-)  )

SB7015

See topic 'AKL 1351 for sale at Auction' for a picture of the yellow lightweight with two black stripes.
   Malcolm

MkIV Lux

congratulations Martin, interesting car!
   Now you will be able to go for real long distance trips... like 900 kms a day; of course with under body pipes!
   Constant

westcott

Hey old man,
   click the IMG Code below the picture, copy and paste it to your message, done.

Uwe
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

302EFI

Congratulations, Martin. A very good decision!
   Jürgen

French Frie

Continental congratulations [:o)], Martin !
    Great  you gathered all the infos  regarding this car, and I assume you made a great deal too, as k€80 is (IMHO) a very good price for such a MKIV ( especially compared to the hassle and the risk from importing one from the USA) .

302EFI

quote:
Originally posted by French Frie
   ... and I assume you made a great deal too, as k€80 is (IMHO) a very good price for such a MKIV...

I fully agree, especially in view of the clear and well documented history and the fact that the lightweight modifcations were carried out by Autokraft themselves.
   Jürgen

Hobo

Dear all,

many thanks for congratulations :-).

Moreover old man seems to manage to insert real photos :-))

Next week I'm going to eliminate the sidepipes of AK1073 to install an underfloor exhaust system.
   I did my investigations how to route the headers, pipes and mufflers.
   However for me it is still unclear,  what the length of the end-pipes should be if they are close to "original" style.
   From different photos I could see different length.
   Some are short, ending same vertical line with the end of the body, others are longer ending at the vertical line of the rearend of the bumpers, some a cut in a rectangular angle, others having a non-rectangular angle.

Finally I want end-pipes long enough that exhaust gases are not sucked back into the cockpit and short enough that I still have enough clearance if the car is loaded on a trailer.

Question: What is the "original" length (in inch/cm measured ) and angle for the end-pipes? Any experience with the shorter version – will exhaust gases sucked back into the cockpit?

Some examples (long and short version) I found:

BBK

Hi Martin. Congratulations on your purchase. My car is the green one you show in your post (Ak 1216) with the longer tail pipes. I have a few AC factory brochures and also magazine articles in period and the longer tail pipes as shown on my car seem to match the brochure and article pictures. Also, my pipes are the,originals that came on the car from what I know, though the mufflers and catalytic converters were changed at one point.

SB7019

Mine are the shorter variety and over the 18,000 miles it has driven I have never had any problems with the exhaust fumes coming in to the cockpit.  Taste in such matters is always very individual but to my eye the shorter ones look more integral with the shape of the car.

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by SB7019

Mine are the shorter variety and over the 18,000 miles it has driven I have never had any problems with the exhaust fumes coming in to the cockpit.  Taste in such matters is always very individual but to my eye the shorter ones look more integral with the shape of the car.
And sounds bloody fantastic, I  might add!!!