News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Ecu + water bottle

Started by AK1161, June 01, 2012, 23:09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

AK1161

Good evening one and all.
   Just trying to gleam a little information from your Cobra cluttered minds.
   Firstly is an ecu fitted to a 1987 mkiv programable and if so can anyone advice on software.
   Secondly....the bottle holding my windscreen washer fluid has disappeared (fallen of its perch)and I need to replace it......does anybody know what it is from and maybe where i can find a replacement.
   Thanks for any info.
   AK1161

jbottini

Is the car EFI...if so, it has an ecu and is programmable to some extent...see the Mustang mags for what level. I had same issue with winds Rene washer and got one with motor from Finish
   One as I recall. Jim

SB7019

Jim's advice to look at the Mustang community is very sound.  The forums are full of threads on this subject.
   On the assumption that your car is EFI then I presume that the ECU is a Ford EECiv which was introduced 1983 and fitted to Mustangs from 1987.  If you Google "EECiv" tuning you will find tons of references so be prepared for a long session on the computer!   I went through this process a year ago and concluded the following:-

1) Your mind becomes even more cluttered!

2) The EECiv is not itself programmable but many piggy back systems can be added to it to create that effect.  Most popular seem to be Megasquirt and Tweecer.

3) An alternative for true programability is to ditch the EECiv and put in a modern race ECU such as a Motec.  This is a lot more expensive and requires very skilled programming.

4) It all becomes so complicated that I understand why many people ditch the EFI and put a good old Holley in it's place.

5) The stacking EFi systems ( which come with a relatively simple computer as it only has to control the Fi) are an attractive proposition.

6) You have very rewarding and enjoyable conversations and e mail exchanges with other Cobra owners who have been through the same thought processes.

Choice then depends on needs and budget.  I chose the new ecu route as I wanted to keep the supercharger that gives the Superblower its name. The changes to my engine were quite radical and thus required specific programming.  I also wanted to have the flexibility to remap the programme in the future which someone with the right skills and software can do with a laptop.

If you want to keep EFI and the improvements you are looking for are not too extreme I would recommend focussing you first research on the Megasquirt and Tweecer options.

Happy hunting!!

Superarnie Mk2

Another alternative for you to consider AK1161, is to fit a chip to your existing EEC.

http://www.sctflash.com/showsctproducts.php?Prod=Chip

It is a cheaper option. I haven't personally used a chip at this time but may in the future. It seems like if you provide SCT with some specs of your engine, they will load four differfent tunes onto the chip to suit your needs.

Hope this helps

Gary