News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

'tool time' story: how I recreate my MK 4

Started by dkp_cobra, January 17, 2007, 08:26:11

Previous topic - Next topic

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra...Btw.: will I get a free one-year-membership if I pass the 10.000 hit to this subject [:D]

1 vote for yes!
   You look close to making the September meeting....You should certainly be rewarded with 'best in show' if you enter any concours events. [8D]

dkp_cobra

quote:
Originally posted by AK1131

Tell me about your engine.

There is nothing special about the engine. The pre-owner installed 2000/2001 a crate engine from Ford Motor Company. It is a

5.8L/351 - 360HP GT-40 Aluminium Head Ford Racing Performance Crate Engine

Number: M-6007-C351
   - new Ford Racing high performance hydraulic roller camshaft M-6250-E303 and roller rocker arms
   - 351 cu. in.
   - 360 HP (Est. with headers, and a 780 cfm Holley carburetor not included) (btw. I have a Edelbrock 750)
   - 350 ft./lbs. of torque (Est.)
   - 9.0:1 comression ratio
   - Ford Racing aluminium GT-40 cylinder heads and GT-40 valve train
   - Dual plane intake manifold

dkp_cobra

quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra...Btw.: will I get a free one-year-membership if I pass the 10.000 hit to this subject [:D]

1 vote for yes!
   You look close to making the September meeting....You should certainly be rewarded with 'best in show' if you enter any concours events. [8D]

Thank you for the flowers but I will not be finished in two weeks [:(]

dkp_cobra

Once again the mufflers. Please look at this picture:

The muffler is mounted parallel to the frame but the body has its lower curve pointing upwards. It looks like the muffler points a little bit downwards. I replaced the old mounting bracket (old? well, the one I made last week) with this one:

After only six hours I got this result:

It looks a little bit better. I don't know whether it was worth it. After that kind of frustrating job I looked for some fast success stories. I pimped the engine bay [:)]

It started with these strange mounting brackets on the valve covers:

I wanted to use them for fixing the ignition cables:

Here is the result:

Next was the carburator together with a small and discrete air filter:

I love the look but I cannot close the hood anymore [B)]. We will make a new lower plate for the air filter s.t. the air filter moves 1" back. Then the hood can be closed again. So long the old one will be mounted:

Maybe you know the work of changing the differential oil. Since the oil has a quite great viscosity it takes a long time to fill the diffential gear with oil. Yesterday I used "Classic Millers Oil". The plastic bottle has a pull-out pipe which can be put directly into the differential gear from the backside of the boot.

Squeezing the bootle fills the differential gear in 2 minutes. Great and absolutlety clean.

Once again a look into the boot:

Everything is made out of aluminum but there is still the maintenance plate visible. I closed it with a aluminium plate:

Here is look from the backside of this plate. The black pieces are rubber plates for sealing the maintenance holes:

1984MkIV

Only some visits until 10000. Hope all the guys who visited your forum article will be invited for the maiden trip[;)]!

Michael

dkp_cobra

The exhaust system is mounted (finally). Unbelievable how many hours I spent although the were mounted before and I (nearly) didn't change them.

After that some nice work at the engine:

I started with the work on the fuel line:

dkp_cobra

I finished the rear part of the fuel line. I made a new mounting plate:

Now, the first fuel filter and the fuel pump are quite near together:

What is new is the valve before the fuel filter. If you want to change the fuel filter and your tank is not completely empty you and the half of the garage will be flooded with fuel. Quite hot job if you are a smoker. Now, you can close the valve and the tank don't have to be empty [:)]

cobham cobra

Great work. I really look forward to reading your updates and seeing the progress.

Keep up the good work - John.

dkp_cobra

The oil cooler should be controlled by a thermostat. Here are the parts:

Do I have to say that the mounting bracket in front is made of stainless steel [:)]

Here you can see the thermostat at the car ...

... and together with the pipes:

jbottini

Absolutely beautiful...will you drive it when it is done?

dkp_cobra

quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

Absolutely beautiful...will you drive it when it is done?

Yes, I will drive it. But I am not sure whether I will park and leave it alone  to get an ice cream [:)]

jbottini

it is beautiful...I do not let my laptop near my MKIV...I'm afraid of a revolt if it can access apicture of yours!!!!

dkp_cobra

Today, I started with the work on the carpet. The doors:

and the boot:

dkp_cobra

Maybe you remember my filler cap:

Yesterday while I installed the boot bonnet I had to notice that the bonnet hit the latch of the filler cap. So I had to turn it a little bit. Sounds easier than it was. It meant that I had to rotate the complete filler cap and drill new holes:

After that I continued with the carpet in the boot. I think this is not standard but the previous owner did the same and I think it is a quite good idea:

As long as there is nothing in the boot what can fly around during driving its no problem but I saw a MK IV and a MK III without these protection and they had quite ugly dents going from inside to outside.

I made these as a sandwich:

This is the result:

I like this "garden and country"-look of that carpet  :)

nikbj68

I like the look of your garden, from the reflections! It`s coming on really well( The Cobra, not the garden!)