News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Raymond Mays Head Wanted

Started by tiganut, January 03, 2012, 07:18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

tiganut

Long shot I know,but looking for a Mays Mk3 head,would take complete engine.

lew

I think I know where there is a head on a shelf.I would not know the difference between mk1,2 or 3.Pls explain so I could identify.

Does Tiganut imply the Tiga race cars? if so I made a few out here under licence to Tiga

Lew

3.8Jaguar

The Stage 3 Rudspeed/Mays Head can be identified by the fact that the rocker cover is held on buy screws around the mounting flange on to the head instead of central screws/knobs down the centre line attaching to the rocker posts, though this way is not 100% reliable as some stage 1 and 2 heads have been modified to this.

The other method is looking at the Water Pump bypass. on the stage 3 it is cast into the head on the stage 1 and 2 this is achieved via a modification to the thermostat housing.

I hope this is of help.

www.bristolengineering.co.uk

lew

THANKS i WILL INVESTIGATE FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES AS TIGANUT SEEMS TO BE NO LONGER BE INTERESTED

tiganut

Hi lew,indeed it refers to Tiga cars,specifically Sports 2000's.I loved the '79,made 5 new tubs for them,& imported the Essex Tiga,chassis No 1 back to the UK,now sold it,as they were absolute horrers,stunning looks though.
    The Raymond Mays head is a 12 port aluminium head,rather than the ford iron head.The Mays item takes triple DCOE Webbers.
   The Mk1 has the 3 central securing studs down the centre of the rocker cover,while the Mk 2 & 3 are around the perimeter,as 3.8 Jaguar points out.
     I did manage to find a head,& ,believe it or not,I have now found another.Both Mk 1's,but they work just the same.

tiganut

I would post some pictures,but dont know how??????

nikbj68

Hi Neil. Photo tips HERE.
   Congrats on finding not one, but 2 heads!

tiganut

Thanks for the link,but I dont use any hosting sites,all my pictures are on my pc.

nikbj68

Tiganut`s photos, showing his bare head:

with carbs/manifold:

and a fully assembled engine:

tiganut

3.8Jaguar

Don't forget to get original Items pressure tested as the quality of casting and material on the May's Heads were not the best in period plus the ravages of time.