News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

New Correct Ace,Aceca,Greyhound & Cobra Fuel Caps

Started by AC Ace Bristol, July 08, 2011, 09:39:08

Previous topic - Next topic

AC Ace Bristol

Latest Update 1st December 2011

Collected a original Base Filler from Tim Pearce off his Ace Bristol and also inspected the Fuel filler and  location his 1964 Cobra.  Then took base assembly to Ceandess for meeting on Wednesday, after carefull inspection and measuring plus refering to pre 65 drawings Ceandess confirm they  can supply the base with correct screw thread to match that originally supplied back in the 1950s/1960s.

Therefore all those ACs still fitted with correct original filler base can now be fitted with either the new cap as direct replacement or the cap and screw threaded base as a complete unit,  which ever is easier and suitable.

Having now seen the fitting in/on a Cobra and the lack of access and space above the tank & under the rear scuttle. I appreciate their frustration and lack of enthusiasm in taking out their petrol tank.

This should really help the COBRA Boys.[;)].
   Oh. It's so much simpler with the Ace, Aceca & Greyhound.

Cheers for Now ............. We can see light at the end of the tunnel. ....Phewwww  [;)].

Keith ..[:)]..[:)]

jolsen42

Migge

Heeeellllooooo Keith!!!!

Any news?????

AC Ace Bristol

Hi to All who have ordered Fuel Filler Caps

Making special visit to Candess this week  to chase up progress of manufacturing and inspect quality of our order for the Fuel Filler Caps.

Order placed in December once we had majority of payments in as Ceandess required large deposit with order prior to manufacture.then balance upon collection.

Quoted 8 to 10 working weeks to supply from receipt of offficial order and deposit.

Once I have collected all units, All orders will be processed and dispatched as qickly as possible. ..... Sorry for the long lead time, But as you all appreciate this project grew so fast it had to be self financing, Gerry & I simply could not afford to buy 200 units on the off chance everyone would follow through.

Rest Assured Goods should be despatched late February.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Keith ..[:)]..[:)]

AC Ace Bristol

Latest Update...23rd February 2012.

Just received the following email:-

Good morning Keith,

There has been a delay in the production of the pattern at the casting company.

The first samples that were produced had some dimensional issues which had to be address.

I have had the first off samples from the adjusted pattern this morning which I need to show to the polishing company prior to giving the OK to the casters. Production on the castings should begin early next week.

Sorry for this delay but I'm afraid these hold ups are inevitable on a new part.

Best Regards

Chris Smallman
   Quality Engineer

I have communicated with many of you via email or phone,  Thank you for your patience...

Once I have collected finished items Gerry & I will arrange immediate despatch, In the meantime.

Sorry for delay,  Better we get accuracy and quality..[;)]

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

AC Ace Bristol

Friday 2nd March 2012

Latest Update from Ceandess

Received the following email from Chris Smallman

Good afternoon Keith,

Just a quick update on the caps to keep you in the loop.

We have received first off samples of the caps cast in zinc. These were sent for polishing but this unfortunately revealed blow holes and pit marks in the casting. I've returned the samples to the casters for them to deal with the issue. They seem to think that it may be down to sand in the casting or turbulence of the escaping gases during the casting process.

I've attached a couple of photos of the sample zinc cap and as you can see the polisher has tried to polish out the pit marks so much so that the definition of the rib has been lost. We, the casters and the polishers are aware that this definition is very important to the final product. You can also see in the other photo the largest blow hole. Along either side of the rib there are a series of pin holes. I must also apologise for the terrible photos. It's not easy taking close up shots of such a shiny surface!

The original sample was cast in aluminium and gave a much better finish straight from the casting process. I have sent this aluminium sample to be polished to see how it comes out and I am looking into how realistic it is to have aluminium chrome plated. From my initial findings I have found that it is indeed possible but is usually polished to a high shine rather than chromed.

I know this is starting to drag on but we are at (one of) the most important stages of the project and it is imperative to solve this problem before going on. I'm sure your customers would agree that it is very important to get the product right.

Best Regards

Chris Smallman
   Quality Engineer

To all ACOC Members who are patiently waiting to receive thier Fuel Filler Cap/s,
   Sorry for the delay,It is out of my control[:(].
   Rest assured the wait will be worth it.

As you can appreciate Chris of Ceandess is looking after our interests in getting every thing spot on and to the standard we expect..[;)].

Can you please pass on latest to other members who may not frequently visit our Forum.

Cheers for Now..

EBBIEMERRITT

KEITH,

Chris Smallman mentions pictures attached of the sample zinc cap.  Is it possible for you to post those on the Forum?

THANKS,

EARA

3.8Jaguar

Are you still in production, we are restocking at the moment.

james@bristolengineering.co.uk

nikbj68

Photos of the sample cap to accompany Keith`s posting of Chris Smallman`s email, 2nd of March:

rsk289

I don't understand why they are having to consider a different material - Ceandess still make and sell the later style cap with the square button, which shouldn't be any more difficult to make - can't they use the same techniques with a new pattern, or is there something I'm missing here?  Wouldn't be the first time!

Robin A Woolmer

I believe they Pressure Die Cast the normal caps, these it would seem are sand cast, this can potentially have these type of defects in the casting if the runners & risers are not correct, it might be better to have them made in brass/bronze if you want to chrome plate them.
   The other problem with sand cast parts is finishing, it would be better to Investment Cast them but there is still some hand finishing needed!

Robin

nikbj68

Also, the standard square-button caps have a greater radius on the rib edges, which is where the problems seem to manifest themselves on the period correct sharper edges. I`m sure they will resolve the issue soon & perfection will be attained!

AC Ace Bristol

Hi

Have confirmation from Ceandess that problems have been overcome and manufacturing has started.

I will arrange to inspect each unit before accepting them, Hopefully within the next few weeks, Then immediate despatch to all corners of the Globe.

If I had realised the amount of time and effort involved I would never have taken up the gauntlet and run with this blooming project.[:(]

(Out of my comfort zone when I am reliant / dependant on others, prefer to be in full control)

Rest assured, we are getting there. ..[;)]

Thank you all for your patience.[:)]

Cheers for Now....