News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Hi Long time no see, a quick update on the Ol Girl

Started by GSouthee, March 17, 2024, 19:12:31

Previous topic - Next topic

GSouthee

Well I see the Forum is still its thriving and buzzing face of AC ownership :(

Anyway, The Ol Girl has been very busy over the last 6 months or so going here and there, but now then engine block has suffered a crack in the block.

So engine out, along with gearbox scratch head and think I know lets go V8 ;D So block stripped most of the bits sold to Triumph enthusiasts hither and dither. Buy a large cube Rover V8 done, convert to dizzy done, Source 4 speed ZF auto from a Jaguar xj40 done, get Disco bellhousing and flexiplate setup done, see if it all fits nearly done, getting there.

Front disc conversion on way.

Hope to have done by her 75th birthday which happens to be same day as my 70th.

Well guys keep at it.

Stay safe and the right way up.

G
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

Big col

Hello G, I hope your keeping well,

These old motors always give us something to do and that's why I love them.
It sounds like you are well clued up and you're going to make an interesting car.
Personally I have a love of the old Turner designed V8 Daimler engines. The problem nowadays, though is they are scarce and expensive. Silly money is asked for any bits needed.
The Rover unit has lots of backup, so fingers crossed, it will be straight forward.
Keep us informed how you get on.

Colin
I might be rough but I'm slow as well.

GSouthee

Cheers col

Glad to see your still plugging on.

Yes I like the old hemi 250 lump too. Hard to find and expensive to buy.

Still at least the rover is light and lumpy.

Take care.

G

My car my rules.

GSouthee

So disc brake conversion sorted.

I used jaguar mk2 hub and bearings. Had to have spindle machined down  a gnats cock so the inner bearing fitted, the outer bearing has same bore as AC one. Needed a spacer made up at rear of spindle so I could use all mk2 jaguar parts. Will stick some pics on here shortly once I  remember  how to do it.

Gary

My car my rules.

GSouthee

So disc brake conversion sorted.

I used jaguar mk2 hub and bearings. Had to have spindle machined down  a gnats cock so the inner bearing fitted, the outer bearing has same bore as AC one. Needed a spacer made up at rear of spindle so I could use all mk2 jaguar parts. Will stick some pics on here shortly once I  remember  how to do it.

Gary

My car my rules.

Big col

Hello Gary, sounds like the brakes will do the job. Be carful you don't hit your head on the windscreen.
I might be rough but I'm slow as well.

GSouthee

Cheers Col yep should stop her.

Here are some pics oh no there is not. Cant seem top upload them. Oh well another time, maybe.

My car my rules.