News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Issue with fuel line leak

Started by SpqrEddie, May 17, 2023, 09:01:02

Previous topic - Next topic

SpqrEddie

Hello all!
I reveved some new parts from Burlen and installed them yesterday ( new float chambers needle valve, float chamber gaskets etc..).
When I reconnected the fuel line i found a very bad leak! it is at the frst carburetor joint, where the copper pipe comes from the pump.
I had disconnected this joint before, and it had never leaked.
I am missing a rubber seal? or it should be just the nut and the brass ferrule?
I have noticed the brass ferrule moves around on the copper pipe. is it normal? Should it move or not?
Do you have any suggestion for stopping this leak? Should i change this pipe?
Thanks!!!
Eddie

Klassik Metall

It rather looks like the nut has been overtightened and this has distorted both the brass olive and the copper tube.
If possible I would suggest cutting off the damaged section and fitting a new olive. Also a copper pipe here isn't
the best choice due to the risk of a vibration induced failure.

Regards Luke.

SpqrEddie

Thank you Luke!
thanks for your tips, after having looked at a few Youtube videos, i think that is the issue!
Sorry, it is the fist time i am dealing with compression fittings. learning something every day with this car!

Do you know how was the original set up? copper or rubber line?

Thanks!
Edmondo

Klassik Metall

The original fuel lines were made from wire reinforced plastic, similar to this.https://www.svb24.com/en/steel-wire-reinforced-pvc-hose.html
However, none of the currently available versions of this tube are suitable for use with petrol containing ethanol.
I would suggest using a suitable reinforced rubber fuel hose, such as this type.https://www.carbuilder.com/us/ethanol-proof-fuel-hose-8mm-516

SpqrEddie

Thank you Luke!
so, if copper was not the original solution, i might go rubber and solve the issue. I might install at least a piece of rubber pipe to interrupt the rigid copper pipe. it is rather long and rigid mounted might not be ideal.
Eddie