News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Exhaust headers - full length vs 'shorties'

Started by C9OBY, January 08, 2011, 08:13:11

Previous topic - Next topic

C9OBY

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience fitting/finding/fabricating a set of full length headers for a 302-block on a MKIV/CRS?  With engine bays being quite tight on these cars, finding a replacement for my 'shorty' headers is proving difficult.  Thunder Road Speed Shop are currently working on this as part of a new engine installation but any advice/assistance from the forum would be appreciated.

Bruce

AK1161

I am rebuilding the engine in my mkiv and am having the same problem. Look at JBA 1624S-2JT. These are titanium coated headers suppossed to be a direct replacement for the origional ford mustang ones. Once we have tried ours I will let you know. You can also buy a new set of  orgional pattern ford motorsport ones from Real Steel. ( 01895 440505 ) Let me know how you get on.
   Luke

C9OBY

Luke, many thanks.

Real Steel have built my engine and Charles has been great with advice.  One of his recommendations has been to get an equal-length set that are as 'long' as possible.  As a halfway solution between the ford-replacement (i.e yours) and full length ones, have you looked at these equal-length shorties? (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-15290/?rtype=10).  I haven't held a set yet, but looking at the picture they do look like they may be a little too fat to fit in the engine bay.

Let me know how you get on, I'm expecting to be at the header-fitment stage in about a month's time.

Bruce

cobham cobra

FYI – I've been running shorty headers for the past five years. They were sourced and fitted by Thunder Road in Woking ( www.thunder-road-shop.co.uk ) and I had headers ceramic (thermal) coated (www.camcoat.u-net.com )  internally and externally and they have worked really well. From memory the pipe work from the headers to the cats/ silencers has to be tweaked a little to line-up, Thunder Road cut and re-welded my orginal pipes. As my car is registered in '91, I was able to have the cats removed at the same time. I also had the small silencers in the rear wheel arches removed as these can be quite restrictive.
   BTW - The removal of the cats and secondary silencers made negligible change to the sound levels.

Cheers – John.

AK1131

I have JBA shorty headers installed in 2001 by the first owner. The installers receipt reads "modified driver's side (LHD)header...move #6 tube, weld and resurface flange". Looking down on the header, there is a purpose made dent in one pipe to clear the foot box. These are ceramic coated which look chrome but have lost some finish. I am pretty sure JBA now offers the same headers in stainless steel. Sounds like a perfect fit is hard to find. A MkIV is a far cry away from a Mustang.

ANF289

quote:
Originally posted by AK1131

I have JBA shorty headers installed in 2001 by the first owner. The installers receipt reads "modified driver's side (LHD)header...move #6 tube, weld and resurface flange". Looking down on the header, there is a purpose made dent in one pipe to clear the foot box. These are ceramic coated which look chrome but have lost some finish. I am pretty sure JBA now offers the same headers in stainless steel. Sounds like a perfect fit is hard to find. A MkIV is a far cry away from a Mustang.

Are they equal or unequal length? I've got BBK Performance, Inc. Unequal-Length Shorty Headers (EO D-245-5) w/ silver polished ceramic coating on my Mk IV, which fit w/o modification... but they are not equal (no pun intended)

AK1131