News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Correct water level in the radiator

Started by SpqrEddie, November 03, 2022, 14:09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

SpqrEddie

Hello!
What is the reccomended water level in the radiator?
Just above the cooling elements? or higher?
Midway between the colling elements end and the upper mainifold?
Thanks!
Eddie

Vincent998

Although I'm not intimately familiar with your car, normal would be to fill the radiator to the top with a 50-50 coolant mixture suitable for the radiator material (bronze, aluminum, etc) and let the coolant find its own level. That's assuming that you have a radiator overflow and return pressure cap (whatever pressure is suitable for your car's system) - and the overflowing coolant is led to a catch container with its own overflow hose. With the proper cap, the radiator will always be full - expanded hot coolant will be led to the overflow tank, and when the system cools down, coolant will be sucked back into the system.

SpqrEddie

Hello!
AC Aceca with AC Engine and Standard radiator.
I dont think there is an overflow reservoir, but just an overflow pipe near the cap extension.
Thanks!

Vincent998

I'd suggest you make one and lead the overflow hose to it. It doesn't have to be much larger than a quart. Your cooling system will then have a full radiator instead of puking the expanded hot coolant on the ground and being part empty when it has cooled off.