News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

AC Ace Bristol's at Le Mans 24hr... 57-62

Started by AC Ace Bristol, August 29, 2010, 13:13:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Louism

Some period pictures of the same car in 1958:

That picture has been already posted at the first page of this topic, Indianapolis corner did not change a lot in 53 years.
   The marshal is ready for intervention, I love that picture...other times.

Louism

Looking at BEX 399 modern pictures, I could make some remarks comparing the car as it was entered at Le Mans 58 about the two stripes width along the body and number 27 absence on the boot.

One detail is more interesting to learn about the history of the 24 Hours.

First picture is BEX 399 today, a blue mark is stuck near the numberplate:

The same year was entered LM 5000 with a vertical yellow rectangle:

Now in 1959, I am not certain but I think we can notice a blue square close to "GB" badge but John Deveson would be able to confirm looking at his photograph collection:

In 1960, the Gachnang's BEX 289 has a blue mark:

And finally 1961 with a picture of BEX 1110 during scrutineering with a (blue) square too...

Those marks where different regarding the engine capacity of the car, easy for a quick driver to appreciate what was in front of him. Le Mans has always been a race with a big gap in between competitors (cars and drivers...), can you imagine a 60 mph difference at top speed in Mulsanne straight ! Two weeks ago, you were able to see it is still the same problem today but THAT IS LE MANS.
   In 1958, the 1500cc to 2000cc has a vertical yellow rectangle.
   1959, blue rectangle.
   1960, still in blue.

Barrie Bird's LM 5000 has the correct configuration but BEX 399 is wrong today with its blue square.

In conclusion, as you can see, a swiss talented model-maker has got it right...

Louism

Confirmation in the book:

"La Suisse et les 24 Heures du Mans", Turbo Editions, author Jean-Marie Wyder

Louism

And now the same BEX 399 but in 1961:

The rad cowl looks like a "do it yourself" job...

You can see behind the Ace, the little BMW 700S n°63 driven by Faucher and Petit who failed to qualify.

The same BMW on the right of the picture with the number plate starting with 7 (it was 7676 EZ 76)

Louism

Have you noticed a little "blister" on BEX 399 bonnet ?

Unusual air filters dimension ?

tim isles

Louis,

Just to say that for me this is a really super thread you are running. It really captures the 'magic' of Le Mans and the part that the Ace played in its history.

I hope you long continue to find such excellent period photographs!

Tim

Louism

Thank you Tim, it's a pleasure...

Better if it is not a monologue. [;)]

Louis

AC Ace Bristol

Louis

It's a very informative  thread,  read, enjoyed and appreciated by many AC enthusiasts.

As one delves deeper into a subject it often feels like a monologue, rest assured many have contributed to your thread, however the subject matter
   AC Ace Bristol's at Le Mans 24hr 1957 -1962
   is easier researched by a French AC enthusiasts living in France with the bonus of a good command of both English and French.

Your research is helping substantiate and authenticate AC's paticipation in the Famous Historic Le Mans 24hr..[;)]

Please keep delving into those archives and publishing your findings on both your French Forum and the ACOC Forum.

Louis,   please note I have anglosized the Title to your thread as requested. ( Initially set up in French to make it easier to cross reference with both Forum)

Cheers for Now

Keith ..[:)]..[:)]

Louism

Guys, of course I keep delving...!

It's good to find nice pictures but starting the thread I wanted to have more, like stories and anecdotes. To do that, I had to find the right persons.
   After a few month, I give you a point for the eight chassis:

AE 205: Still in US, no contact.
   LM5000: UK, Barrie is a member of this forum.
   BEX 399: Germany, I wrote a letter a few days ago.
   BE 214: UK, many contact with John the owner and John who drove in 59.
   BEX 289: For now the car is "lost", contact with Georges Gachnang.
   BEX 365: France, contact with Jean actual owner. Few documentation.
   BEX 1110: France, to contact via French Club AC.
   BEX 1192: France, owned by Georges, member of this forum. Some more information to come.

As you can see, the story is not finished...

One more thing, does the ACOC start to think about Le Mans Classic 2012 (July 6th,7th and 8th) ?

Louis

Louism

Before the start, june 21st 1958.
   Side by side BEX 399 and LM5000

www.les24heures.fr

Louism

Two more Aces in the history of Le Mans 24 Hours...even if they did not start the race.
   Thank you Tony for infos and Stephan for pictures.

BEX 135

Seen at test day in april 1959 entered by famous belgian team Garage Francorchamps. BEX 135 was driven by Blary (Armand Blaton, Jean's brother) and André Pilette (another well known family). The car has been timed in 5'22 but entry withdrawn later, in June André Pilette drove succesfully a Ferrari 250 from the american team NART at the fourth place.

BEX 1139

Same scenario like BEX 135 but in 1961. The french agent Chardonnet entered the car for test day where it was lapped in 5'26"5.
   I have no picture and no information for this car...

Louism

Coming back to the Gachnang's BEX 289, Alain Larive former owner of the car gave me a copy of a swiss magazine: la Revue Automobile n°31 from July 14th 1961.

Unfortunatly the quality of that copy is not good enough for pictures.
   A journalist makes a drive test of BEX 289 and the CEGGA Ferrari. I will try to give you a good translation of technical specifications of the Ace (as an exemple coil-spring suspension at the front).

From a german fan I had a better picture today taken from the magazine in front of Gachnang's workshop.
   That picture shows:
   - The CEGGA Ferrari based on a fabulous Testa Rossa
   - BEX 289
   - Another Ace with a similar body as BEX 289 at the front but without its typical hardtop
   It shows more than one Ace left Georges and Claude workshop with a modified body.

The best I can do to show the three cars, from left to right: CEGGA Ferrari, Ace modified and BEX 289.

The Ace in the middle could be BEX 429 but it is only a supposition, another picture of what could be this car...

Louism

Beautiful picture of BEX 289 found by Lutz from Germany.

The car has just passed the pits and enters Dunlop curve to the right. Many of you have in their mind the famous Dunlop Bridge which is an iconic image from the "circuit de la Sarthe", the car will go through in some two hundred yards because in 1960 that bridge was located before the top of the hill...

Louism

An advertising made by Ghia from Aigle, Gachnang's home city, telling in a german magazine how sensational are the Ace Bristol modified in their workshop.
   Talking with Georges, never BEX 289 had been sent in Ghia workshop but some Aces like the one I suppose to be BEX 429 in my recent post were modified by Ghia with Gachnang's design and agreement.

Information given by Georges today:
   BEX 289 was bodied at Gachnang's workshop by the two brothers with assistance given from Franco Senaldi, Franco was an italian employee of Carrosseria GROSSMAN located at Aigle (again...). A mutual agreement between them left him working on the Le Mans Ace project outside Grossman.

I will give you some important news about BEX 289 soon (in french we use an english word to call that method: teasing [:D])

Louism

I will be with Bertrand at Aigle in Switzerland by mid october, we will meet Georges Gachnang and then be able to give you the news I was talking about in my last post.

For now I have more to write about BEX 289 in period, thank you again for informations and pictures given by Lutz M from germany.
   To be as clearest as possible, a chronological sequence will be better.

08/01/1957: BEX 289 Ex-Works, engine 100D 627, primer with beige trim.
               Sold to Charles Voegele via Swiss dealer Hubert Patthey.
               First produced disc-brake Ace.
               Registration ZH 110741

Between 1957 and 1959, the car was used as a road purpose but Voegele entered the Ace for racing also, Lutz recorded some events:
   05/15/1958: Vienna Aspern Austria.
   06/22/1958: Vallelunga Italy.
   10/12/1958: Innsbruck Austria.
   06/14/1959: Rossfeld Hill Climb Germany.

09/06/1959: Accident with Nadege Ferrier during Faucille Hill Climb test as recorded by Rinsey Mills in "AC Six-Cylinder Sports Cars" page 163.

By the end of 1959, bought by Gachnang's brothers and rebodied to be entered at the 24 Hours of Le Mans 1960, registration VD 21156.

04/09/1960: Georges Gachnang drives BEX 289 at Le Mans preliminary test.
               Car #31 morning session lapped in 5'10"5, afternoon session in 4'50"1 (I have a doubt about that time)

The only document we have about april test day at Le Mans shows BEX 289 without its hardtop...

05/22/1960: Nurburgring 1000kms, Gachnang/Caillet car #92 DNF.
   06/26/1960: Le Mans 24 Hours.

08/13/1960: Sierre-Montana Hill Climb
   08/28/1960: Ollon-Villar Hill Climb.
   10/02/1960: Marchairuz Hill Climb.

Early 1961: for sale via Hubert Patthey (note the mistaken Ex Works date).

March 1961 also for sale by the Gachnang themselves.

September 1961 still for sale by Garage Terminus at Lausanne.

The car is then seen in different races in 1963 in the hands of Swiss Jean Zufferey. It seems that Zufferey never owned BEX 289 as Georges Gachnang said.

04/07/1963: Montlhéry France.

05/12/1963: Payerne slalom Switzerland.
   06/16/1963: Sierre-Montana Hill Climb Switzerland.
   06/30/1963: Ste Ursanne-Les Rangiers Hill Climb Switzerland.

Early 1964: for sale again via Hubert Patthey garage

And we lose BEX 289 until...1969 (coming soon).