News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

TOJ and an Odd Ace

Started by administrator, March 13, 2010, 10:37:58

Previous topic - Next topic

administrator

For anyone (like me) who missed 'Toj - John Tojeiro and his cars' when it first came out, it is still available from the publishers, Havelock:

http://www.smrh.co.uk/

It's a worthwhile addition to any AC library.

Any comments re this one?  I have no history or other info and have tried B G-S and others but they have never seen it before, although there was speculation that it might have been a 'one-off' Tojeiro.  The reg no isn't in the Ace register as far as I can see.

AC Ace Bristol

Hi Bryan

The Car in question is A Tojeiro - MG  (1954)

This was the car bought by Eric Ridley, a Norfolk Coal Merchant.  It had a barchetta style body with a distinctive Grill.
   He ran it in various events  and gave the promising young racing driver Bill Smith the chance to drive it in a sprint at Wormingford where he won his class. ( July 11th 1954). Also raced by Bill Smith at Snetterton in Oct 1954

Picture of Bill at Snetterton in John Tojeiro's Book "Toj John  and his Cars"  written by Graham Gould.

In John's book the Tojeiro didn't have a Pair of Lucas 700s cut into the grill.

Great Picture , Bryan  [:)]   Does it still survive today  [?]

Hopefully, That gives a little  insight on just one of  Many Tojeiro's (Specials)  built by Toj. Yes, looks similar to a Ace but  it isn't a Ace, Therefore not recorded in the Ace Register.
   However it is recorded  in the Tojeiro Book  and daresay The  Tojeiro Register [?]  ......   Assuming there is a Register.

Keith

Jim A

OK, what's a "cellar flap?"   Assuming it is the door to a coal chute, is a coal merchant allowed to park in front of it anyway?

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Jim A

OK, what's a "cellar flap?"   Assuming it is the door to a coal chute, is a coal merchant allowed to park in front of it anyway?

FAR more important than that...
   It`s where the Pub`s barrels of beer would be deposited by the Draymen!

Why does the front of that Toj special make me think of a Series 1 Land Rover??? Nice looking car, interesting to know if it still survives today!

administrator

Interesting info - thanks!

administrator

The Historian of the Eastern Counties Motor Club (http://www.ecmc.co.uk/site/index.php) spotted the photo and notes:

"Eric Ridley ran a builders' merchants in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, although it is feasible that he once sold coal. Eric rallied an MG sports (DGV 747).  He took young Bill Smith under his wing and let him race the Tojeiro and helped with Smith racing an XK 120.  Smith was then signed to Ecurie Ecosse with the proviso that if the Jaguar works team wanted him he would drive for them.  He was killed at Dundrod in a seven car accident before he had the chance to drive for either.  For more info on this you will have to read Peter Sainty's Bill Smith, An Artist at The Game."