News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Le Mans Classic - AC Ace Bristol

Started by Chafford, March 06, 2010, 18:27:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim A

Classic Bristol sounds, slipping clutch and all.
   Is there a dark, maybe blue, Ace losing it at about 1:18?
   I have (had) a 45 RPM record of an AC Bristol warming up and at speed that was part of series offered in magazines in the early 1960's.
   I sent a cassette copy to Brian Gilbart-Smith in 1994 or so.

Chafford

quote:
Originally posted by Jim A

Classic Bristol sounds, slipping clutch and all.
   Is there a dark, maybe blue, Ace losing it at about 1:18?
   I have (had) a 45 RPM record of an AC Bristol warming up and at speed that was part of series offered in magazines in the early 1960's.
   I sent a cassette copy to Brian Gilbart-Smith in 1994 or so.

Yes and a collision. And Leseur almost loses it at 5 mins in the video.

Jim A

Ah, the travails of glacial dial-up!
   I started the download, took a shower, but youtube (I assume) timed me out before 5 minutes.

AC Ace Bristol

Jim

I had the video loaded on the Gallery section of this Forum back in 2008, also had a thread that showed the extent of Damage to   Bertrands (BEX1205 car # 39) rear n/s wing, bootlid etc plus the Ali body work still attached to the front of the Blue Ace Bristol # 40 of A L Franssen (BEX338) after there comming together at the chicane.
   Bertrands Co-Driver is trying to change gear too quickly hence the painfull noise comming from what's left of the syncro rings,
   (I would think after many hours "Syncro mesh would be Syncro Mess")

Not sure why one can't go back to 2008 on the Forum, I'm obviously doing something wrong [:(]

If you come up with the thread , can you please resserect it.

Maybe,  Bryan our Administrator can do the honours... Thanking you in anticipation.
   If it is lost, I will get a few pictures posted on the forum , or I can email a few pics.

Keith [;)]

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol: Jim, I had the video loaded on the Gallery section of this Forum back in 2008, also had a thread that showed the extent of Damage to Bertrands (BEX1205 car # 39) rear n/s wing, bootlid etc plus the Ali body work still attached to the front of the Blue Ace Bristol # 40 of A L Franssen (BEX338) after there comming together at the chicane. ...Keith [;)]

Click pic to go to the thread...[:D] AND I have no teeth left, from grinding in sympathy with that poor gearbox!

Jim A

Sure looks a lot like fiberglass, but maybe not.

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Jim A

Sure looks a lot like fiberglass, but maybe not.

Definitely NOT! Just a huge sharkbite of Aluminium, as the overrider got inside the passing wheelarch and tore the metal away! Quite a freak occurence, but there is plenty of evidence of what happened!!! [:0]

Louism

Hello,

Just to share some pictures of Bertrand's BEX1205 after restoration.
   Here in Goodwood last year for track day, lovely car and lovely place...

Andy Shepard at the wheel:

nikbj68

Keith sent me this fantastic photo of the Tony Byford prepped D2 engine in Bertrand`s Ace... Perfection!

Jim A

I'd like to know something about the air "cleaners"/horns.

Louism

Jim,

Waiting for technical experts but they are "air straightners" to guide air directly and "feed" better the engine...

AC Ace Bristol

Jim

Louis is spot on,  Air straightners improve carburattion and give you a few extra horses, plus the feathering the edges of the butterfly in each carburettor will increase efficiency and give another brake or two. (Not suitable for road use as you will increas ware due to intake of fine abrassive paricles)

Ken Rudd and many others exploited all sorts of things to get another one or two horse power, mind you I found changing eating habits was a far cheaper way to improve power to weight ratio.

I will give Tony Byford a bell and get some more info.[;)]

Most tricks and experiments in gaining power were first carried out by BMW in the 1930s/40s and then by the Bristol Cooper guys in the 60s often comming to the same conclusions.( Some tweeks work and others can be counter productive)

I believe there were a few useful articles in back issues of ACtion refering to Ken Rudd's tweeks and those carried out by Chris Lawrence, Must find time and scan through some back issues.

Watch this space.

Keith..[:)]

Louism

In conclusion:

Air straightners + diet = nice looking couple (car + driver) and may be...better performance. [:D]

Louis [;)]

Louism

By the way, 2010 Le Mans Classic ended sunday morning due to a head gasket failure.

I was at Indianapolis curve when it happened suddenly and I took those pictures...