News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Cobra wins @ Oulton Park Gold Cup

Started by nikbj68, September 01, 2009, 15:48:05

Previous topic - Next topic

nikbj68

Despite pretty `orrible weather for much of the weekend, The Oulton Park Gold Cup was most enjoyable,
   and even though several promised AC`s were 'no-show`s' the Marque`s honour was maintained by Simon Crompton
   in the Historic Road Sports race.
   Click pics for larger version)

It looked slightly embarrassing on the Saturday, as the Cobra was 31/2 seconds faster than it`s nearest rival,

but come the race, things were not so one-sided, with Simon dropping to 4th off the line.
   (I think he just wanted some 'sport'!)
   Squeezed up the hill out of Knickerbrook, Simon had to yield this time,

...but was soon in front,

eventually winning by 41/2 seconds from a Lotus Elan, Ginetta G4 & TVR Griffith,
   whilst Andy Shepherd was 7th, in his Lotus 7!
   (It was very kind of one of the Formula Ford drivers to mark the racing line with oil,
   but the marshalls felt this didn`t show up well enough,
   so highlighted it with concrete dust!!![}:)])

There were at least 2 Ace Bristols in the pit area,
   and it was wonderful to re-unite my Dad with his old Ace, 5BPG.

Thanks to Tony Bancroft for the photo, and allowing us a 'special moment' in his fantastic Ace
   that holds so many great memories for My Dad!

"AC Bloody Well Done"! [8D]

aaron

It would be nice if it was an original Cobra and not an air car that won the race.

A great shot of you and your dad.

Gus Meyjes

nikbj68

Thanks Aaron, it was a great weekend!

Gus, an "Air" car is one which wasn`t (in the context of Cobras) manufactured at Thames Ditton between '62 - '68, but purports to be a CSX, COB or COX car.
   Here`s an example. In the late 70`s, your Cobra (CSX 1234)is damaged. The chassis is deemed beyond economic repair, so a new one is purchased or made, and much (or at least some!) of the original car is bolted to it. Therefore, your original CSX1234 is now repaired.
   But what if someone finds the damaged CSX1234 chassis, repairs it & builds a car around it? You then have 2 cars that claim the same ch.number. Both have some legitimate parts...but would the real 1234 please stand up?
   Or maybe the car was written off completely, and a new car built around the chassis number, and log book.
   These things may take years to come to light, as occurred recently at one of the 'Premiere' US  Auction houses, when a Cobra of a certain chassis number was offered for sale, but the owner of the 'real' chassis number was able to show that his car had full and complete provenance.
   There are many scenarios, but please note I am not in a position to suggest that any of these apply to the Cobra above.

Personally, I would rather see an 'air car' racing than none at all, and let`s face it, with several of these cars now worth multi-millions, a technically and visually identical replica at a tenth or less of the price is virtually one repair bill for the original, should an unfortunate incident occur.
   People say, 'you wouldn`t go to the Louvre to look at a copy of the Mona Lisa', but I think there`s a bit of a difference!
   N.

aaron

QuoteOriginally posted by nikbj68

Thanks Aaron, it was a great weekend!

Gus, an "Air" car is one which wasn`t (in the context of Cobras) manufactured at Thames Ditton between '62 - '68, but purports to be a CSX, COB or COX car.
   Here`s an example. In the late 70`s, your Cobra (CSX 1234)is damaged. The chassis is deemed beyond economic repair, so a new one is purchased or made, and much (or at least some!) of the original car is bolted to it. Therefore, your original CSX1234 is now repaired.
   But what if someone finds the damaged CSX1234 chassis, repairs it & builds a car around it? You then have 2 cars that claim the same ch.number. Both have some legitimate parts...but would the real 1234 please stand up?
   Or maybe the car was written off completely, and a new car built around the chassis number, and log book.
   These things may take years to come to light, as occurred recently at one of the 'Premiere' US  Auction houses, when a Cobra of a certain chassis number was offered for sale, but the owner of the 'real' chassis number was able to show that his car had full and complete provenance.
   There are many scenarios, but please note I am not in a position to suggest that any of these apply to the Cobra above.

Personally, I would rather see an 'air car' racing than none at all, and let`s face it, with several of these cars now worth multi-millions, a technically and visually identical replica at a tenth or less of the price is virtually one repair bill for the original, should an unfortunate incident occur.
   People say, 'you wouldn`t go to the Louvre to look at a copy of the Mona Lisa', but I think there`s a bit of a difference!
   N.

This is the real COB6042, to find out more about the above car ,visit Jonathon Bradburns website.

1984MkIV

quote:

This is the real COB6042, to find out more about the above car ,visit Jonathon Bradburns website.

And it is chased by the real CSX 2131 Willment Coupe.