News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Oh no , not another one !

Started by cobham cobra, August 18, 2009, 13:27:26

Previous topic - Next topic

cobham cobra

Oh you're going to love this (or maybe not).
   News is out that a another new Cobra announced at Pebble Beach. This time it's the produce of a company by the name of Iconic Motors and AC Cars

Caution strongly advised - before viewing the following images parental advice or sedation is recommended
http://iconicmotors.com/web/aboutus.php
   http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/vehicle/z15121/Iconic-GTR.aspx
   http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/240202/800bhp_ac_roadster.html

I have the same comment as last time, I will make a coffee, sit back and see who goes first [:D]

John.

cobham cobra

Of course I could be wrong, it may have been a typo and the correct name of the company maybe Ironic Motors.
   Definitions of ironic on the Web: dry: humorously sarcastic or mocking.

[;)][;)]

1984MkIV

quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

Of course I could be wrong, it may have been a typo and the correct name of the company is Ironic Motors.
   Definitions of ironic on the Web: dry: humorously sarcastic or mocking.

I guess the right name is Comic Motors; that´s what the car looks like: a Comic version of the AC Cobra shape. And i guess prices of Shelby´s will shoot up within a short time, because Carroll with his sense of Beauty will get an heart attack[xx(], when he will see the car. There will be another Price Hype like it was when Enzo died ...

To be serious: I never thought you could build such an ugly duckling based on the wonderful Cobra shape ...[V]

Maybe there will be dozends of manufacturers putting the Shelby badge on their cars and an other dozend with an AC Logo on it ...

nikbj68

MUST.

NOT.

COMMENT...

[xx(]

nikbj68

Aaaarghh...

Can`t.
   Help.
   Myself...

So how much will this little beauty cost?
   I saw the (pre-AC 'union') Iconic on a program last year, and they were talking about $600,000, so when you add the cost of the AC badge, shall we say $750,000????
   For something that looks like a full-scale HotWheels/MicroMachine.

You could buy a very nice, original AC Cobra (maybe with some racing history) for that...

cobham cobra

Maybe if I went to Specsavers and asked for a slightly odd prescription it would look OK.[8)][8D]
   If you almost close both eyes, look sideways at it and squint it kind'a looks cute in a Hot Wheel kind of way.

But then again it looks much better if I close my eyes completely.

nikbj68

It does look like a fantastically engineered vehicle, although A.F.A.I.K. the 0-60 of 2.* secs and 1/4 mile in 9 secs are unsubstantiated, but why couldn`t they have just come up with their own body design?
   And how will the AC deal (and obvious rush on sales) affect the exclusivity of the GTR`s intended 100-unit run, Oh there are so many questions!

TLegate

Just way too depressing - and there was me thinking April 1st only came around once a year.

I could have a good rant over this but I've decided not to bother as it's simply - depressing!!!!!

AC Cars - RIP

Mark IV

Come on now Trevor, there are still a few "AC" like cars on which the "Dear Chairman" has not yet bestowed his blessing (translation, they have not ponyed up some dollars his way) that can become "ACs".

Of course, if you consider an "AC" something that "AC" actually builds or at least pretends to build, then this is the sign of the third horseman....................[:0]

Clive Sutton

The DNA of the AC spreadeth like (edited - admin) flu  across continents , Now as valuable as a Blue Peter badge it only needs to attach itself to a motorvehicle of green credentials to endear it to the motorists of tomorrow...  A showroom stablemate for the ironic AC could be the AC Tesla.. based upon the electric Tesla but fitted with external loudspeakers conveying unsilenced '427' exhaust musac for each prod of the AC embossed throttle...   This would balance my UK proposal for the AC GWiz , an urban electric competitor to the Aston Martin Aygo Volante.
   Meanwhile the standard bearers of historic iconic Cobra/AC/Shelby/ in the guise of Superformance, Kirkham, Gardner Douglas continue to remind us of what was great in a former time.. Here endeth todays lesson..[}:)]

Mark IV

Why Clive, I sense some Luby induced bitterness.................

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

After I attended the Cobra photoshoot and had a chance to look at/inspect the new MkVI, I did write to the Chairman of the AC Owners Club and formally ask him to seriously consider disassociating the Club from the Mkv and VI models, due to their serious attempt to make the AC marque look foolish and ruin its reputation. I also suggested publically that any of these new vehicles, which have no real blood line back to the sixties original, could and should not under any circumstances be considered an AC Cobra.
   Seeing this latest effort only make me realise I did the right thing. Perhaps I am being a little hard as it is only an artists representation of the latest car we are seeing, but somehow I bet I'm not.

MkIV Lux

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Faulkner-Stevens

After I attended the Cobra photoshoot and had a chance to look at/inspect the new MkVI, I did write to the Chairman of the AC Owners Club and formally ask him to seriously consider disassociating the Club from the Mkv and VI models, due to their serious attempt to make the AC marque look foolish and ruin its reputation. I also suggested publically that any of these new vehicles, which have no real blood line back to the sixties original, could and should not under any circumstances be considered an AC Cobra.
   Seeing this latest effort only make me realise I did the right thing. Perhaps I am being a little hard as it is only an artists representation of the latest car we are seeing, but somehow I bet I'm not.

I am not sure about the Mk V (which as far as my understanding goes is essentially the 212 body and frame maybe with modifications, but built by AC in Malta), but I do fully subscribe to your statement as to the Mk VI. This has nothing to do with an AC. (see my previous statements on the Mk VI post).

administrator

There will clearly be an ongoing and lively debate about the product, with lots of opinions, but let's steer clear of personal comments.

ANF289

Looks a bit like a Toyota MR2 MkIII on steroids.