News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Dual left exhaust pipes

Started by AK1131, May 27, 2009, 15:50:58

Previous topic - Next topic

AK1131

My 1986 MkIV is equipped with dual exhaust on the left side. I have seen a couple other MkIV's with this feature. Looks like it is period to the mid 80' models. I have also seen it on Bristols. Personally, I like it. A very nice departure from all the plastics. Does anyone know the history of this design?

Thanks,
   AK1131

Mark IV

The carbed cars had these, the mid 86 on fuel injected cars got the single left/right pipes. As the USA cars had to "piggyback" on the Mustang certification for EPA, Autokraft was limited as to what they could do to emissions related systems.

jbottini

AK1131

Thank you Mark IV. I knew you would have the answer.[:)]

ak1087

I have the same setup on my MKIV, AK1087.  I am looking for a source to buy a proper dual exhaust setup like on the '87 & later cars.  I don't need the cats, just the proper mufflers & head & tailpipes.  Anyone know where I could get one?

AK1161

Just had the engine and exhaust system rebuilt by Wealden Engineering and it is quite simply a work of art with hand built headers and boxes and 1 3/4'' stianless tube. Sounds amazing and recommend you get in touch with Frank Catt.
   info@wealdenengineer.co.uk
   Picis to follow

AK1161

marklotus

I have AK1121, which is a US spec carb car.  It came with a single exhaust system with dual outlets on the left sde.  I was able to convert to a true dual exhaust system with a muffler under each side(door).  I utilized the original polished tips for the tips of the new system, one tip at each side.