News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Nose Profile

Started by BEX308, May 03, 2009, 16:39:01

Previous topic - Next topic

BEX308

What is the consensus on what the proper contour of the leading edge of the nose around the grill should be on an Ace? BEX 308 came to me in 1970 with a fairly narrow and radiused leading edge, but the car had been rolled and the front sheet metal had been extensively repaired in the late 50's so that is not a reliable indicator of the original shape. The one picture I have of the car prior to the accident is not definitive in this regard so is no help. Vintage pictures of Aces seem to indicate a finer entry than later restored cars; at least here in the States where some restored cars show a very wide pronounced flat surround all the way around the grill opening. While it's reasonable to assume that there was some variation between cars due to being hand built, what I'm seeing today seems extreme. It's time to get to the sheet metal so I need to get to a landing.
   Pete

AC Ace Bristol

Hi Pete

Can you please confirm your email me address, I will send you a random selection of Ace photographs to help you reproduce the correct profile,  As each Ace is hand built and various Bucks were employed, there is bound to be a slight variation, However I beleive the profile should be much the same as that of me Ace Bristol "BEX333 ",  please refer to pictures on the Forum reference History of BEX333, where a few pictures show what I beleive to be the correct front profile.

The front end was damaged many times during its racing history in the 1950s,  Steve Gray of Brooklands Motor Company /  AC Heritage has
   cut out the bad repairs and repaired using the origonal Bucks from AC Cars Thames Ditton.

Their quality of craftsmanship and accuracy regards authenticity is 2nd to none.

My email address:  Keith dot lessiter at Faac dot co dot uk

I will send the pictures in two or three emails within  24 hrs of receipt of you confirming your email address.

Have a good weekend.

Keith

jrlucke

The Brooklands Motor Company site (http://www.brooklandsmotorcompany.co.uk/entryframeset.htm) has some fairly good photos of the restoration of the Rudd Ace. Several show the profile around the grill area both before and after restoration.

The after photos seem to concur with most of the photos I've accumulated. I'm surprised at how crip the edge is coming down to the mustache over the side lamps.