News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

PVT Air Filters

Started by Big col, June 17, 2020, 22:41:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Big col

Can anyone advise on a suitable Air filter available to fit to the carbs on a 16/66. They are SU HV2's.I don't think they had anything fitted originally but having had a complete engine rebuild it may be a good idea to fit something!
I have asked Burlen but they drew a blank and advised asking hear.
I might be rough but I'm slow as well.

Robin A Woolmer

The Correct SU Air filters clamp around the inlet of the carburettor, i have not seen any that would fit as most are for Post War SU's.
I will take a picture of them later!

Robin

GSouthee

Hi Colin

would 2 litre saloon ones not fit they clamped on as well or try a motor cycle air filter with the right neck size as these also fit on with a clamp and could be taken off easily when showing.

Garyt
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

Big col

Jam,
most of the ones shown fit to the later type carbs which have flanges to bolt to.

Thanks Robin,
Yes I am contemplating looking into motorcycle filters as a lot of them, as I remember from my younger days on dirt bikes, clamp to the inlet with pipe clips.

Big col

Thanks Gary, you just beat me with your reply.

GSouthee

Hi Colin I used similar whilst I was converting my triumph airbox to fit the AC engine bay.

Most are now very free flowing.

Oh and the car is looking good in Action.

Good luck

G
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

Robin A Woolmer

It Looks like VW Engines have air filters which clamp around the choke inlet diameter, the question is going to be size!

Robin

Big col

Gentlemen, I think I have managed to secure a set of smiths ones that apparently were originally fitted. They will need a little tidying but appear to be the real thing. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket if my luck is in.
Thank you for your speedy responses.

Colin