News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Satellite pic of Thames Ditton site

Started by Classicus, October 03, 2008, 15:01:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Classicus

Hi Steve

Whilst still on the subject of the old works at Thames Ditton, if you haven't seen it before you might be interested in this satellite picture I found recently concerning the former site, which someone in the top photo has placed inside the small square box. Although I only stood outside the main front entrance, from memory it was a great deal bigger than this all round and that this being opposite the road triangle  would probably have been the front showroom and forecourt display area only. I'm sure there's many who will know exactly, but my guess is the whole site would much more likely have been inside the blue line I've drawn in the bottom photo ?

Paul  [:)]

http://wikimapia.org/2461581/AC-Cars-Ltd-former-site-of-Thames-Ditton-Surrey

terry3000me

Paul,
   Good photo, your blue line certainly needs to go more to the right to emcompass the red roof buildings, up to the small road that leads to several cottages just out of site at the top of the image. (Not certain how far to left the boundary went.)
   The ME Group were fortunate that one owner, Graham Wright an ex Thames Ditton employee, took us all for a walk around the site and it was quite apparent it was a large facility!
   Shame the image does not go the bit further to show the proximity of Ferry Works.
   Anyway well done for finding it,
   Terry

Classicus

Hi Terry

Thanks I thought it was much too small too ! :-) You said the blue line needs to go more to the right to encompass the red roof buildings, assume you mean to the left ?

In the top left hand corner of the pic. you'll see several buttons in the shape of a cross that allow you to move around or zoom in or out. So clicking onto this webpage link -

http://wikimapia.org/2461581/AC-Cars-Ltd-former-site-of-Thames-Ditton-Surrey

means you should soon find the items you mentioned.

Paul [:)]

Edit: Any clearer ?

terry3000me

Thanks Paul for the additional info, (yes I did mean the buildings on the left and not the right).

I also viewed the webpage link and by scrolloing upwards there is a box just below Hampton Court railway station called 'Wardray Premise' this is the site of '21st Centruy Works' where ME production took place.

Again well done finding this,

Terry