News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

front lower swivels

Started by SBB, April 29, 2008, 19:55:15

Previous topic - Next topic

SBB

Any idea which car the lower bearings for the front lower swivels come from-trouble with the mot-my car is a 1997 mk4.?Thanks Richard Thompson

cobham cobra

Hi Richard,
   I had a similar problem with my '91 MkIV last year. I was told that the part was possibly from a Saab and is no longer available. The chaps at Thunder road modified the lower wishbones to accept a current Saab part and all was fixed. I thought it was going to be a big problem and it turned out to be no big deal. The car is much better now that both front wheels point in the same direction[;)].
   It's probably worth a call to Thunder Road to check out what options you have.
   John.

wenzeh

Richard,

Just purchased two lower swivels from Gerry Hawkridge - he has all parts you can imagine!  The suspension on my AK 1005 (1982) is MKIII and I am not sure if the parts had changed over time on later production cars.

Previous owner had applied a strange part on my car and at the end the joint had almost 1 mm of movement!!!

If I would know how to post pictures I could show you the old and new parts - if you are interest!

Heinz

dkp_cobra

Heinz,

Autokraft changed the parts totally. In our early MK IVs the axles are taken from a MK III. The track rod is pushed from below through the lower wishbone.

Later, the track rod ends where taken from a Saab and were mounted as a complete part screwed to the lower wishbone. This was not a good solution since I heard of some people who lost these during driving because the screws were broken.

Regards, Peter