News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Tyre recommendation

Started by justnow, June 09, 2015, 09:41:16

Previous topic - Next topic

justnow

Hi it's been a while and I am truly enjoyed my little AC. It is about time to get some new tyres. Today she is running on Avon Racing and 16 inch wire wheels. What is the recommendation for a sporty but not racing tyre. Thanks in advance,

Norman

I am using Avon ZZ on my Ace 2.6, which come in soft (my choice) and very soft. I was put on to them by John Chatham of Big Healey fame, apparently lots of Healey drivers use them, and I have found them very good. Don't know if Avon make them in 16 inch though, I am on 15" wheels. Before that I had Vredesteins, which were dreadful. Zero wet-road grip and impossible to wear out. Downright dangerous in my opinion.

AC Ace Bristol

Wilhelm

You now have a choice of 16" tyres to choose from, I used Dunlop racing tyres in 2000 as 16" rubber was not readily available except Taxi tyres which were 6 ply and not correctly speed rated.

I have now covered some 50,000 miles in the past 12 years and have found 165HR16 Avon Turbo Steel tyres give good predictable road holding in dry and wet conditions with a very good life span and bonus suitable for track use,  Racing boots especially 15" will be a few seconds a lap quicker.

A set of four Avon's including balancing, new rubber bands and using my existing racing inner tubes  was £700 + £140 vat (12th August 2014)
   I tend to run them about 30PSI on the road and  a few pounds more on the track. Hard ride, not sure of  radial tyre pressures run by others..[?]

Many club members  use Michelins but having never driven a Ace on them I cannot comment.

Hopefully a few other members can give their verdict / opinion.

165 and possibly 175 should not foul rear wheel arches, 185 will burn paint off so you either have to relieve the arches without cracking the paint or play with the rear spring to get a little negative camber,  again hopefully others can  confirm their experience...[;)]

This subject has raised it's head numerous times both on this forum and in back issues of ACtion. worth reviewing.

Cheers

Keith

justnow

Hi Keith, I have changed to Michelin X 550r16 and so far I am very happy with the result. But haven't driven in the wet yet and can't really say anything about how long they will last. Did about 30 rounds at the Classic days Schloss Dyk and she was very predicable with very good roadholding a joy to drive. And as always thank s a lot for the information. Cheers Wilhelm