News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

A surviving vintage AC in India

Started by Old Crock, May 14, 2015, 18:08:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crock

Surviving in Calcutta this 4-cylinder Royal is another unrecorded in the ACOC register. I've no idea why such a huge spotlight for the driver, maybe for spotting cows sitting in the road at night....or the occasional Tiger! Note also the serpent head horn.

It does appear as if there's negative camber at the front – looking at the left front and right rear wheels maybe the springs have gone (due to the state of roads in India?). Second picture shows the same car with its British driver, not sure of the date but, no doubt, during the Raj.

Old Crock

quote:
Second picture shows the same car with its British driver, not sure of the date but, no doubt, during the Raj.

Just noticed that the second car has a headlamp shutter, a diffuser sometimes called a slit mask. This was one of the blackout requirements during the Second World War so this photo had to be taken after 1941 when Calcutta feared bombing raids from the Japanese - the first came in 1942.