News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Ace or Cobra? Or neither?

Started by 14kenyons, September 07, 2015, 16:08:02

Previous topic - Next topic

14kenyons

Was at the Shere Hill Climb yesterday and a chap rolled up in a black Cobra (well, same shape); Le Mans hardtop, but no badges anywhere. I was told it had been imported from the States and was a genuine 60's Cobra, lots of history, etc. Then he opened the bonnet. AC Thames Ditton chassis plate clearly stamped AEX1107 and a CLB engine number.
   Maybe it is a rebodied Ace, maybe not, but sure isn't a Cobra!

nikbj68

Oh I really hope he didn`t pay REAL Cobra money for it!
   The register does show it as an AC-engine Ace "now completed as a Cobra replica".
   I`ve seen it, reg no 4 CSX, will find photo soon.
   [edit: number corrected!]

TLegate

Took part in the Shelby Cup race at the Goodwood Revival in 2012, driven by Evans/Moyes. (4CSX) Helped get the number of entrants to 30. Nice that Goodwood can be so accommodating and permit an Ace to compete....

Thank heaven they don't accept replicas!

Migge

nikbj68

rstainer

All members need to do is to check the Club's website at Model directory/Cobra (Thames Ditton)/Appendix-Replica leaf spring cars:

VIN Asserted AEX1107 Year made 2010 Reg CSX 4 Colour Blue Trim Black Last known owner Glynn Evans Location UK Additional information "Based on a US sourced 'project with many Cobra parts fitted'. FIA HTP.
   (AC Ace chassis number)"

The website describes all seventy one known Cobra replicas (cars asserting a period AC or AC-like VIN) outside the Americas, most with more detailed additional information.

It makes a very revealing read for Cobra enthusiasts and (IMHO) is worth our modest annual subscription.

RS