News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Reference AEX561

Started by hawk289, May 01, 2012, 00:16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk289

About 18 months ago I started (well not me, but my friend Fintan (@ F H Ellis) started to restore the Ac Aceca that most people know about AEX561 (see http://www.acownersclub.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1338&SearchTerms=AEX561). Well good news and some more good news.

The car was striped down to chassis and body, normal rust in out riggers and some small tubes. The biggest challenge was the hole (well massive) hole in the main chassis rail. Well we have found that the rust went back and forward so less than 3 feet needs to be replace. The best bit the body is not in a bad condition, which is great news. Trust me restoring a body is a massive cost compared to chassis work.

I will take some photo's when I'm next up at the workshop so you can see progress.

The engine is next, the car had an incorrect engine. I have decided to put a CL engine into the car. I have acquired an engine and gearbox (nice the engine is 3 off the original engine). The other decision is to make the car into a race / hill climbing car. So again I will provide some information on this thread during the process. Last bit as this is my third Ac restore I will also share some tips for people specially on suppliers and people I use. Anyway, just thought I would kick off the progress. Keep tuned for later.

Some of my first tips:

1. Never set a budget, I always take more time and spread cost over a period

2. Never cut corners, people who have seen some of my previous restores know I will not accept cutting corners. So again, just take more time.

3. Consider up front what result you want and do not change after the decision (been there and collected the t-shirt). What I mean is if for Track, then consider what a track style car needs. If for concours then consider again the outcome.

Anyway, first three little tips.

dkp_cobra

Indeed, true words. Point 3 seems to be a little bit exceptional but is so important to get a consistent result.