News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Mirror mounting locations

Started by AC Bill, August 11, 2010, 18:58:40

Previous topic - Next topic

AC Bill

I have studied several pictures of the roadsters, and it seems there are many different mounting locations chosen for outside rear view mirrors.
   I have been led to understand that the view from them mounted in the rear fender area, leaves a lot to be desired. Some have mounted them to the side windscreen post, some further forward on the fender, others I've seen are even mounted on the door.
   I have heard that the convex mirror can help, but there may be some question of legality if it's used on the drivers side.

Is there a "best" place to locate them for good rear visibility?
   Any opinions, or suggestions welcome.[:)]

AC Ace Bristol

Bill

Take a look at pictures of BEX333  ( reference History of BEX etc or LeMans Classic 2010).

A piar of mirrors complete with aluminium brackets, allowing you to fit mirrors on both sides of your Ace / Cobra without drilling holes in the bodywork.  Just remove small screws in the windscreen frame then using the same pre-drilled holes fit each mirror with slightly longer screws,  becareful if screws are too long you could crack the screen.

Each mirror can be adjusted to suit your driving postion and can be used with side screens and hood, if you must...  heaven forbid.[V]

These mirrors are available from Aubrey Finsburgh, same address & tel number as confirmed  earlier on this forum.... reference Brass or Ali Grill.

Keith

aex125

Bill, I agree with Keith on this. I made my own brackets to mount on the windshield frame, and the other advantage of having them high is being able to see over the rear fender. If you have a short mirror and mount it on the door or fender, it can limit your view to the rear.
   Jay

AC Bill

The windscreen post does seem likely the most practical for good rear view, although not traditional.

Kieth, I wonder about using the pre-tapped frame hole, strenght-wise, as the thread size is rather small, and there is only few threads holding the existing screw. Being the frame is also made of soft brass, is there really enough strength to hold the weight of a chrome bullet mirror securely, as it hits road bumps, etc.? Did you simply use the one mounting screw point to hold it, and no other means of support?

Jay, I have seen a commercially available mirror bracket for roadster mirrors mounted on the windscreen sides. I enjoy making things and it looks like it would be easy replicate. I believe it mounts to the windscreen support posts rather than the frame. How does your bracket attach?

jbottini

Predone aluminum mounts for Raydot types are available from a few sources. I think mine came from Finishline.

AC Ace Bristol

quote:
Originally posted by AC Bill

The windscreen post does seem likely the most practical for good rear view, although not traditional.

Kieth, I wonder about using the pre-tapped frame hole, strenght-wise, as the thread size is rather small, and there is only few threads holding the existing screw. Being the frame is also made of soft brass, is there really enough strength to hold the weight of a chrome bullet mirror securely, as it hits road bumps, etc.? Did you simply use the one mounting screw point to hold it, and no other means of support?

Jay, I have seen a commercially available mirror bracket for roadster mirrors mounted on the windscreen sides. I enjoy making things and it looks like it would be easy replicate. I believe it mounts to the windscreen support posts rather than the frame. How does your bracket attach?

Bill

I fitted a pair of mirrors complete with Aubry Finsburgh brackets to my Ace windscreen frame back in 2001, Have only covered some 39,000 miles or so.  Most of these thirty nine thousand miles have been in excess of 70 mph and over 100mph on the race track ..... too date no problem.  both screws securing each bracket have stayed put.No problems whatso ever.

As you can see from photos of BEX333 these mirrors are as aero dynamic as Prince Charles Ears,  seriously they are still as secure as the day they were fitted.

Not sure about the bullet style mirrors, but rest assured the Finsburgh items have stood the test of time, speed and weather.

Why reinvent the wheel, when there is a well proven piece of kit available off the shelf.

Check out various photos of Aces in UK and Europe and count the dozens of ACs fitted with these brackets and mirrors .....
   No, I am not on commission or a retainer,  Simply stating how good this product is !!...[:)]

Keith

aex125

Bill,
   I'll get a picture tomorrow, but it picks up 2 threaded holes in the frame as the post holes are thru holes. I am using the repro Raydyot mirror and the only problem I had was on the passenger side mirror. The Raydyot has limited adjustment so I had to bend the passenger side bracket inward so it was usable. Making them took about 1hr, but as Keith said be careful on the screw length as you can crack the screen if the screws are too long
   Jay
   PS Here is a link to some pics of AEX125 with the mirrors on it, closeups to follow
   http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1019&SearchTerms=aex125