News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Anti-roll bars

Started by Max Allan, November 27, 2006, 22:49:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Allan

Does anyone know the reason why an anti-roll bar (sway bar) was never fitted on the Brooklands Ace? I don't know of any volume car without one. Was the Cobra also minus a bar?

Max

Mark IV

Yes,
   Street Cobras did not have bars. Some cars are designed for balance and roll that do not require bars for normal use. But for "banzai" drivers, stiffer is better. The Ace was designed to be a performance/luxury car in the SL mode so no bars were spec'ed.

Not to say you couldn't fit bars to the Ace and increase roll resistance.
   Rick

administrator

Curiously the published spec for the 3000ME mentions front and rear anti-roll bars, but (like the fold-down front spoiler) they never made it to production.

keithjecks

When I bought my Mk IV in 1994, Brian Anglis was absolutely adamant that they didn't need ARB's and would not fit them. He was a bit scathing about people like Uniclip who made after market bars, though I could not quite square his attitude with the fact that my car had all the mouning points for ARB's built in as standard. I later fitted the Uniclip package, and can only say I didn't agree with Brian where the Cobra is concerned.

I suspect his prejudice was reflected on the Ace, though I have to admit that mine (which i am told by Neil Fisher has been very carefully set up) certainly doesn't seem to have any need for more roll stiffness. Presumably this is due the width of the car, which gernerates roll stiffness naturally?

By the way - whatever happened to Anglis? I always liked the guy

Mark IV

Brain and Christine are "retired" to New Zealand. I have not talked to him in many years, he has limited contact with people who are not in his small circle of friends.
   Rick

Max Allan

I agree ace 4.6; the width of the cars in relation to height probably keeps roll within acceptable limits. Like you, I've not experienced excessive roll cornering at reasonable speed, despite repositioning the front shocks and discarding the original springs and dampers in favour of components manufactured to my own spec. However, it's difficult to determine the degree of roll in any given situation unless followed by an observer (not something I've done). I remained puzzled that manufacturers of similar size cars such as Merc feel the need to fit a roll bar, but a small company like AC with limited resources didn't, and suspect there is a handling gain to be had IF it can be made right ie bar with suitable torsional stiffness. Guess the only way to find out is by trying.

Mark-Anthony

My CRS Cobra (#22) didn't have any A.R.B.s fitted.  So I fitted front anti-roll bars only.  The impovement was quite marked, and I do not consider myself to be a banzai driver by any means.

I haven't fitted rear A.R.B. because I can't imagine that, given the cars weight - especially at the rear, it would ever need one.

Very happy with the car now but I'll be happier once she's putting out 350 bhp and has new sticky tyres.

Mark-Anthony

Max Allan

Manufacturers generally seem reluctant to fit rear bars. The 3.8 E type Jag had one, but none of the later models that I can recall. I seem to remember reading rear bars have a tendency to increase oversteer causing the back to break away more readily.

Max