News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Autokraft Mk4 Ball Joints?

Started by Kiwi Cobra, March 29, 2010, 10:50:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi Cobra

Hi All, I'm after some information on the description of the upper ball joints and the steering ball joints. I am aware that the lower ball joints are from a Saab 900, what car or desc[?]ription/part number applies to the others please?. thanks.

Kiwi Cobra

Hi again, I see quite a few people have read my post however no one has replied yet, my apologies if this question is a repeat of other postings or overly simplistic. I'm a new owner of a Mk4 and keen to learn about what to buy to keep my car on the road, any advice or leads will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Cobra

Hi again, I see quite a few people have read my post however no one has replied yet, my apologies if this question is a repeat of other postings or overly simplistic. I'm a new owner of a Mk4 and keen to learn about what to buy to keep my car on the road, any advice or leads will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum. Can`t be many MkIV`s around you, I hope getting any parts you need won`t be too difficult!
   A quick search of this site found me 2 previous similar threads,
   HERE &
   HERE
, hope they help. [:)]
   This ain`t the fastest moving forum in the world, but there are some very knowledgeable guys on here, and I`d recommend you read Peter`s MkIV restoration thread for an intimate view of how your car was put together... but you`ll need a couple of cups of tea handy!
   Enjoy your Cobra! [8D]

Kiwi Cobra

Hi Nik, Thanks very for your reply, I have done a pretty thorough search through various threads and haven't found any reference to the upper ball joints or steering ball joints. There is quite a bit of discussion about the lower ones and I have sourced them locally and fitted them. I'd be interested to hear whether anyone knows the origin of the upper ball joints & the steering ball joints (assuming these are from a production car like the Saab too). I look forward to any advice as you are right,the cars are very rare here in New Zealand.

jbottini

email steve at brooklands in uk....they have them

Kiwi Cobra

Thanks, but I'm half a world away from the UK and would like to source as many parts as I can locally and form a database of part numbers etc as I intend keeping the car for a long time, especially parts that are from other cars as so many parts seem to be on these Cars. I'm sure someone has experience with sourcing these and other parts for the undercarriage and I'd love to hear from them.

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Cobra: Thanks, but I'm half a world away from the UK...

It might not be prohibitively expensive sourcing smaller parts here,
   but certainly it`s worth seeing if you can identify parts by chatting to:

Steve Gray @ AC Heritage(Brooklands Motor Company) on 0044 (0)7860 912217

Gerry Hawkridge @ Hawk Cars on 0044 (0)1892 750282
   or
   "Big Al" Smith @ Thunder Road on 0044 (0)1483 763399

Are you actually up-and-running at the moment, or do you need the parts to hit the road?

Kiwi Cobra

Hi Nik, Thanks for the contact details, I will make contact, yes, I'm up and running fine, I needed to replace the lower ball joints and as a result of this forum, I established that the lower ones were Saab 900 so found them easily and fitted them as mine were stuffed. I'd like to purchase the others for the shelf rather than be off the road for ages when I'm in need for them. Again, due to this forum, I established my inside light lens was a Rover part and purchased a couple off Ebay UK last night which was great as my one is sad so I appreciate the input of others, thanks, Steve.

jbottini

Kiwi cobra,
   what is the Saab part number and what is your AK sequence numberAKXXXX?
   Jim

Kiwi Cobra

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been away for Easter. The Units we purchased through
   a car parts outlet are TRW units, #JBJ252 , suit SAAB 90, 99, 900, 1969-1993. Both sides take the same one.Thanks,Steve.