News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Greyhound door and boot hinges

Started by tdperth, January 12, 2016, 00:43:26

Previous topic - Next topic

tdperth

Hi to all...
   Does anyone know where I can get boot and door hinges for my AC Greyhound?
   Kind Regards
   Trevor

B.P.Bird

Trevor, I remember replacing mine many years ago and went to a hinge manufacturer where it turned out they were a standard size brass hinge available off the shelf. However, with the benefit of hindsight, why replace them ? Any competent machinist could line bore the brass and make up a stainless oversize pin to suit. Incorporate an oiler in the pin and they will last for a very long time.

Robin A Woolmer

Door Hinges  were Collins Medium Suit Brass Type 1656 dimensions 3" by 1/2" thick by 1& 3/4" closed so effectively 3" square!
   Bonnet hinges were fabricated from tube steel so I would imagine you should be able to repair them!

Robin

tdperth

Thanks guys.

My Door ones have worn too thin to machine and the boot has one that has cracked and consequently worn excessively. I have to replace.

Have had no luck searching the internet for this size.

Trevor

Robin A Woolmer

Trevor
   I believe I have found a supplier in UK that can supply/make them for you, the style of hinge goes back to the early 1900's Is the boot hinge the same as the door hinges ?
   In regard to the bonnet I am sure you can have some fabricated in Australia to your sample so that should not be a problem.
   If you send me an Email I can possibly send better details of the supplier etc.

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

Trevor
   I have a quote for the nearest standard hinge for both types, they are looking into making the exact hinge to AC drawing & will come back to me! Please send Email

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

Trevor
   Hinges can be made to drawing so please Email me so I can send the information you can then deal direct.

Robin